Friday, December 18, 2009

DAY 131 Time for Friday Favorites


Hi Journal & Friends,

Oh boy, another Friday Favorites! 

Over the years I have earned the Bad Buy of the Year Award, more than once... for stuff I just "had" to have. And then it either was a huge disappointment, or it ended up gathering dust.

But my Favorite for today is a little kitchen appliance that I really do use all the time: my handy dandy Braun Hand Blender. Here is what mine looks like:


I bought mine a few years ago for about 20 bucks, if I remember right. It is an older model, only 200 watts, but boy does it work FINE. They also come with different accessories... I have no opinion on those. I didn't buy them. I LOVE my powerful little blender. 
Things to play around with:

-Smoothies, with all kinds of fruit, especially with frozen berries so it's thick like a milkshake.








-Creamed soups, just whiz the cooked veggies right in the pan to desired consistency




-Pureed foods of any kind, and creamy mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc


When I was a kid, we used this a lot:

And also one of these:

I love the convenience of my little hand blender, and you just stick the end in a cup of soapy hot water and give it a quick whiz, and it's clean. Done. No hassles disassembling the big blender with all the parts.

If you get a little hand blender and don't use your big blender any more, you can make a table lamp from it, like this:

 Don't need a lamp? How's about a fish aquarium? Just be sure to keep it unplugged!



As always, I'm not employed by the Hand Blender Moguls, no free samples or payola. It's just my opinion. And I LOVE this little gadget. Is it necessary? Naw. But it makes things in the kitchen just a teensy bit easier... and man oh man, those smoothies made with frozen blueberries are out of this world!

From Dr Phil's book: "Start behaving in ways that make you feel good about yourself."

My verse for today: "He rewards those who earnestly seek him."

My quote for today:  "As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: take it or leave it." --Buddy Hackett 

Enjoy the Journey,
Loretta
=^..^=


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the same handy Braun blender. We just love it at our house. It's small, but mighty! It does a great job!

I love the suggestions for our big blenders! They're unique and fun! I think A would love a fish aquarium! ;-)

Retta said...

Hi Debbie,
Yeah, I just love that little thing... I remember the "old days" of trying to put hot soup into the blender to cream up the veggies, and trying not to spill it or get burned. This is soooo much easier. How spoiled we are now, LOL!
Loretta
=^..^=

Joanne said...

My hand blender!!! I forgot about it and the soups!!! What a blessing you are Loretta - thanks for the reminder - geesh I had some fabulous roasted veggies left over from dinner - dang I just reheated them the soup would have been splendid. I use my magic bullet for smoothies - but my blender. My old one was hanging up so I never forgot it - new kitchen doesn't have the wall space.

Great post!!!

Christine said...

I think I would love a hand blender....the blender lamp is cute, but I am a little concerned about that poor fish in a blender...looks like an accident waiting to happen.
lol.

Retta said...

JOANNE: Oh, I have magic bullet too. I use it all the time to grind up flax seeds and chia seeds, and make flourless breads and muffins and the like. It's a great little gadget too!

CHRIS: LOL! When my hubby walked by and saw that little fish in the blender, his eyes got wide, and he said "chop off that cord!!"
:-D I told him the instructions said to remove the inside blade, so the poor fishie was probably safe. But if kids were around, yeah, chop off that cord, LOL!

Loretta
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

I have one of those, too--and like Joanne--have forgotten about it. That baby is coming out from the cabinet NOW! I just bought some huge, fresh blackberries. Gonna stick em in the freezer for a breakfast smoothie tomorrow! Thanks, Loretta. Deb

Retta said...

Hi Deb,
Oooh... blackberry smoothie, that sounds divine! I have some frozen raspberries, I think I will make one and add a splash of coconut sugarfree daVinci to it. Mmmmm.
Loretta
=^..^=

Related Posts with Thumbnails