Wednesday, December 2, 2009

DAY 115 Doing Our Own Push-Ups


Hello Journal & Friends!

Imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

Forget politics... I am talking the young, buff weight lifter Arnold. Hear his deep Austrian-accented voice as he said: 
"No one can do your push-ups for you!"

This journey is personal... individual.  There are no short-cuts. We can encourage each other, get inspiration from reading success stories, follow the stories of those we admire. 

But bottomline, it is the time spent alone in our own heads that will make or break us.
The battle is won or lost in the mind.

We must each do our own push-ups. 
We must each spend time asking ourselves the tough questions, and answer with honesty.
We must each learn to be our own best friend, cheerleader and trainer.
We must each make the effort to focus, to think, to "look into the abyss".
We must each have the courage to be uncomfortable for a season.
We must each get a backbone and be willing to fight for ourselves, to defend our journey.
We must each make the changes on the inside, in our thinking, and that will change our choices.

Heal the mind, the body will follow.

No one can do this for you. 
No one can do your push-ups for you.
It is hard work, but the results are worth it.



From Dr Phil's book: "For you to succeed, you have to translate this knowledge, awareness, and insight into action."

My verse for today: "We must pay more careful attention... to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away."

My quote for today:  "What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight--it's the size of the fight in the dog." --Dwight D. Eisenhower

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Loretta, I totally agree with you. The battle is won or lost in the mind. I was having this same conversation with a friend of mine who began this weight loss journey with me. She is struggling with changing her old habits. I am convinced the majority of this is mental attitude!

BTW, did you get the email I sent to you regarding the "award"?

{Hugs} Debbie

Joanne said...

Awesome post!!! Very well said and its so true. I am gaining strength from the inspirations I am finding on the blogs but at the end of the day its up to me to make this work.

Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! Day after day, you have the most profound posts. Thank you!

And the picture stating it would be worth it--would it be okay if I put a copy of that on my blog?

Deb

Losing 100 said...

I just blogged today about how this journey is 90% mental and 10% physical. I love your thoughts. I better go feed the family and then "do my own push-ups". Keep up the great work, and great posts!

antgirl said...

Astute as ever, Loretta. Teh battle is won and lost in our own heads. It's never too late for an attitude adjustment.

Shelli Belly said...

How very true! Last night I watched the Biggest Loser and the conectants were trying to make the same connections. So even if you muscle through the weight lose and don't address what's going on in your head you'll more likely to gain the weight back.

Loretta thank you for your positivity and support.

Christine said...

Good Lord Loretta, I have found my doppleganger.
I feel like I could have written this exact post. Great post, love it.
love your attitude.

Retta said...

DEBBIE: Yes, I did get the email... I answered you at your blog, in the post about the award. Here is what I said:

How generous of you to include me in your list for this award! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, this will my second time of taking a pass on this one. It has a tad too many time-consuming rules for me. I am trying hard to learn to not be over-committed. I hope you are okay with this, and understand this is something I am working on to learn.... to say "no" when I need to. I suppose that is one more thing in my long list of stuff that I need to learn! LOL!

But I really do thank you for the "award" of thinking of me!

JOANNE: Thanks, Joanne. I am like you, I love reading other blogs and am so blessed by them. But I am still accountable to myself to make the right choices.

DEB: Thank you Deb! And of course, anything, anytime, help yourself. All is free for the taking. The idea is to help and inspire each other, so the more the merrier.

LOSING 100: I totally agree, it's mostly mental. I remember someone on Biggest Loser saying something like: it's not the size of your body that matters, it's the size of your heart...that we had to do it wholeheartedly.

MARY/ANTGIRL: Yep, I once heard it put this way: a check-up from the neck-up. :-D

SHELLY: I agree...just yesterday I read about Erik Chopin, one of the past winners from Biggest Loser. He had lost 214 lbs, but didn't change enough inside to keep it off. He had regained over half of it, and is now working to lose it and make it a permanent way of life.

CHRIS/CMCOURSLER: Isn't that weird??! Hey, we could just take turns, and post every other day... ha ha ha ha!

Thank you everyone!
Loretta
=^..^=

Unknown said...

Loretta, yes I did see your answer on my blog. However, I attempted to send you a personal email. I wasn't sure if it went thru, apparently not. In the email I said, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had turned down the award before. I told you that was perfectly fine. I completely understand about the need to say no from time to time. I struggle with the same issue myself. I tend to take on more than I can handle effectively because I hate to say no. So no worries!!! Take care!
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails