Thursday, July 8, 2010

DAY 333 Don't Do What I Did!


Hi Journal & Friends,

Today is Post 333. Now, that's a number that is connected to some emotional memories for me!

It used to be my "Top Weight" (or so I thought)... the one that sent me into a panic and propelled me into "diet mode".





(on the back of this pic, I had written: Top Weight 333)























The first time, waaaayy back in 1974 after the above pictures, I was single again and did great on my "diet". I got down to 230 before getting "comfortable". 

Then,  in  1977, I got married... and just lost my way, returning to old habits and ways of coping. Needless to say, those years were filled with all the negative self-talk that comes with being Morbidly Obese (dontcha just hate that term?!).

Fast forward to the next time I crept up in weight, and bumped into 333 again... in 1987. It scared me so bad, I went deeply into debt, paying around $400 per month to a hospital based diet program. It was one of those liquid-only diets. Oh sure, I lost weight. I plummeted all the way down to 250 pounds. I also had a mini-stroke, and my hair started falling out. True story.

Then can you guess what happened??

Yep. Up... Up... UP skyrocketed my weight. In 3 1/2 years, I GAINED 194 POUNDS.

Folks, that is why I pound over and over and over that you cannot just go on a "diet". 

You MUST fix your head! 
You MUST address your issues. 
You MUST learn new ways to cope with the daily stresses of life. 
You MUST. 

It doesn't matter if it's uncomfortable.... it will be.

It doesn't matter if it's scary to face... it could be.

It doesn't matter if you think you don't have time... make it!

Or you could end up just like me in 1997, at my real highest weight: 460. Don't tell yourself you would never let yourself get like THAT... uh huh... I said that once, too.

Someone once said: 
Losing weight is hard. 
Being fat is hard. 
Choose your hard.

I kinda like that.

If my story helps only one person avoid the incredible pain that went with those years... it's worth the telling. 

It can be done. I know that now.

Today, I grow stronger by making healthier choices. 
Today, I give from my experiences.
Today, I celebrate freedom.


(Illustration credit: "Celebrate Freedom" by Larry Poncho Brown)

From Dr Phil's book: "What is true about you in your mind, you will live."

My verse for today: "...let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever."

My quote for today: "Age is whatever you think it is. You are old as you think you are." --Muhammad Ali

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=


Related Posts with Thumbnails