Saturday, September 12, 2009

DAY 34 Baby Elephants & Success

Hi Journal,

I've been thinking about something that Dr Phil taught in his book, The Ultimate Weight Solution. The story he used to illustrate his point had to do with how elephants were trained. 
They are so huge and powerful, that in order to control them the trainers used to chain the baby elephant to a tree with a large chain. Over time, as the elephant grew up, they reduced the size of the chain and the tree so that by the time the elephant was fully grown, he was contained with a mere flimsy rope and a small stake in the ground.

 The elephant learned at an early age that it was impossible to escape...his "personal truth" told him "that's the way it is". He tried and tried, but could not change his situation.



Dr Phil believes that we CAN "pull up the stakes" of our own experiences, change our thinking, and improve our lives.

We CAN change. What we believe and therefore say about ourselves equals our success or failure. I can be my own worst enemy, or my own best friend. Whether or not it was there inside me all along doesn't matter...I didn't know it, didn't  believe it, therefore it was useless to me. I didn't realize my own potential. It would be the same as being the  lawful owner of a huge fortune...but if I didn't believe it, or accept it, or act on it...of what use was it to me??

  I have made many attempts to lose weight in my life.  I have lost over 100 lbs three times...and lessor amounts many more times....only to re-gain it all back and then some. I DID NOT CHANGE ON THE INSIDE. I did not change my thinking. In fact, each failure created a history of "failure" in my thinking, reinforcing that I was securely "staked to the ground."
I had the "diet mentality", so that as soon as "life" interfered with my program, I reverted to my old personal truth...I went back to my way of coping by using food for other than fuel.

This time, the progress has been much slower. But this is also the FIRST TIME in my whole life that I have kept off weight that I lost. I have had a lot of stalls along the way...and bounced around a bit...but I have not gone back up to my former 460.

This time, I have asked myself the hard questions.

This time, I have been willing to be "uncomfortable", and be honest.

This time, I am willing to change.

This time, I believe it.

This time, whether the going is easy or hard, I am believing that I am up to the task...that it is NOT impossible to change...that it's not going to kill me to be uncomfortable and DEAL with my feelings instead of eat them away. I will survive just fine.

Today, I don't FEEL like I am strong, or successful at this. But I am choosing to believe that if I do not quit, and just plow on ahead regardless of transient feelings, I will make it.

This time, I am not accepting NO for an answer.

This time, I am making it all the way.

This is MY time.





From Dr Phil's book: " No matter what happens, I'll stay the course. If I do what is required, I will succeed."

My verse for today: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

My quote for today: "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday."

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I hear ya. I read Dr. Phils book a long time ago and I thought it was the best weight loss book I had ever read.

Retta said...

I agree Nancy. It is so down to earth, and set up in a logical fashion. It took me a LONG time to get through the book the first time...I had to read and re-read the first 2 chapters many times (the ones about Right Thinking and Healing Feelings). Then I read it a few more times!
Thanks for stopping by...:-)
Loretta

shardashekar said...

nice article to read

Related Posts with Thumbnails