Tuesday, December 1, 2009

DAY 114 The Life I am Now Choosing


Hello Journal & Friends!




Yesterday I celebrated finally losing 100 pounds. Typing that still causes me to smile. I am finally a member of the Century Club.

But what most people don't realize is how long this took me.


It took me a looonnnng time to get here. You could say... a lifetime.


I was put on my first diet at 10 years old.
I have tried at least 2 dozen different diet plans over the years.


I have spent way too much money over the years on exercise equipment that either I could not or would not use, or that injured me.


I have lost at least 100 pounds 3 times, and regained it all and then some.


I had to learn from my mistakes... what did and did not work for ME. To be willing to fight for myself, to design a plan that was totally tailored to me, my life and preferences. 


To be willing to try... and fail. And try again.


To be willing to be uncomfortable. 


To honestly face my behavior and ask myself the tough questions, and be honest with the answers. 


To blame no one else. To accept responsibility for my life. 


This was actually a turning point for me, accepting 100% responsibility for my life. At first I would argue, and point out what "they" did or said... what I was or was not taught as a child... what happened to me growing up... what this or that person did along the way... the illness that happened to me... the genetics I am stuck with... what God himself allowed to happen in my life.  


But I finally GOT IT that accepting responsibility for my life is not negating the impact of any of those events. 


What it IS saying is that what matters most IS HOW I RESPOND TO WHAT HAPPENS TO ME. And no, that's not just some "new age" touchy feely psycho-babble cliche. Rain falls into EVERY life, sooner or later. We can stand there and whine, blame someone else, feel sorry for ourself, play the victim, endure as the martyr, fill our soul with bitterness and unforgiveness.... OR...


Or what?? That's the point. How I choose to respond will determine my life. 


If I choose to work through it and heal and learn and get on with life, I will have created a better life than if I clung to the pain. It's my choice. Gotta admit here, for me I couldn't have done it without God. But even so, we all have freedom to choose.


I don't control what anyone else does... I only control my attitude... how I choose to respond to what happens to me.


Because if I embrace the idea that my life is MY responsiblity, that *I* created this situation due to my own poor choices... then it EMPOWERS me to create a better, healthier future by making GOOD CHOICES now. That's what I mean by creating a New History for myself. 


All of this is "easier" to write when you have just celebrated losing 100 pounds! I agree. But that makes it no less true.


I had to learn to change from the inside out. But until I made progress with the inner changes, I still slogged away at the "behavioral changes." What is the old saying? "Act as if..."



No, I do NOT take my success so far for granted.
I hold it dear... I am very grateful.
I make it a priority, and give it top level importance.
I defend it against all attackers... which sometimes can be my own thinking!


Do I go thru times when I feel like I just want "it" to be over? yes
Do I ever feel like quitting? yes
Do I ever have doubts? yes
Do I get assaulted with the lies that say it's too late?  yes
Do I get tempted with fear that I have done too much damage to my body? yes
Do I ever just want to be "normal" and not have to work at this? yes


Do I ever get overly confident about my success and get lax? Um... well, actually, NO!


It has cost too much, taken too long, and caused too much pain along the way, that I can honestly say that, so far at least, I don't feel overly confident. 


I am building a "new history" by making one good choice at a time. I am learning to trust that New History, and when times get particularly tough, I can not listen to the attacking voices and instead look at my New History of right choices. This helps silence those doubts and fears, and reminds me that change IS possible. That I CAN do this, and to just keep plodding away, day in and day out. 


It might sound boring, or ordinary... but that is the daily life of it all. Just plain and simple, not exciting or full of drama. Just making one good choice at a time, day after day after day after day......


Yes, I have lost 100 pounds. But I am not resting on my laurels. I still have 161 pounds to go!!! 


This is like a Triathlon... and I have completed the first leg of the race, with two more thirds to go!

From Dr Phil's book: "Nothing will stop you from being anyting other than healthy, vibrant, in shape, and fully in charge of yourself and everything you think, do and feel. This will happen because you make it happen. You have made the decision to step up and do what it takes to have what you want."



My verse for today: "Great is Your faithfulness."


My quote for today: "Dare to be remarkable." --Jane Gentry


Enjoy the Journey,


Loretta
=^..^=






13 comments:

Losing 100 said...

I love your blog! Isn't it true that all of our "failures" in the past are really an opportunity for us to learn how to do better. I'm up to 66 pounds lost, and you show me I can do it!

Anonymous said...

YAY, Loretta!!!!!! You go girl!! I'm stompin and clappin as you speak your stuff!! :D Your words have behind them the power of someone who has persevered and overcome.

Onward and forward, fellow traveler!

Deb

Anonymous said...

P.S. When I get to 152, I will have also lost 100 pounds. I want that Century Award! (Unless, of course, Jesus meets us in the sky first--in that case, I'll take His reward! :))

Deb

antgirl said...

Wooooot!! I'm proud of you, Loretta! Congratulations, very heartfelt, on losing 100 lbs.

I can relate to having lost and regained. Oh boy. I was in that rut, too. I think you've figured it out though. Your insights are so astute, it's obvious you're determined to do whatever it takes to succeed. So, you will.

I am always here to cheer you on, give you encouragement when you need it. Always. :)

financecupcake said...

Oh, my god!!!! How did I miss your 100-pound celebration? CONGRATULATIONS! That is amazing! You are amazing, Loretta! You go, girl! You are so positive and motivating. You deserve this loss.

You earned it!

Trish said...

Congratulations on your AWESOME achievement! YOU GO GIRL!!!

Christine said...

Hi loretta,
Ditto to all of that, I feel like we are playing around inside each others heads...strange....lol.
It is about accepting response ability.
awesome. And again, congrats on your 100 lb loss.

Scarlet Simple said...

Congrats! I'm sorry I haven't been commenting but I have been reading! You are amazing for making it to 100 lost! Keep on rockin' it!

Retta said...

LOSING 100: Thanks for visiting my blog. I agree, it's not really a "failure" is we can learn something from it. Congrats on the 66lbs loss!

DEB: Thank you, Deb. And absoTOOTley, when you get to 100 lost, I would really love to share that award with you!

MARY/ANTGIRL: Thank you, Mary. And it means a lot to me to have your cheers and encouragement.

CINCIMOM11: Ha ha ha... you blinked and I sneaked one past you. ;-) Thank you, Christina.

TRISH: Thank you, I am one third of the way there.

CHRIS/CMCOURSLER: Yeah, that's funny about similar posts. And did you see Sean's was similar too? It must be floating around in cyberspace.

SCARLET SIMPLE: Thanks, Ruby. And don't ever apologize for not commenting, I don't like "the comment game" where you must feel obligated. I only comment if I have something to say, and I want you to feel that same freedom. There is only so much time in the day, right?! I love reading your blog, too, and having your friendship. We'll both keep rockin' it!

Loretta
=^..^=

JoAnn said...

Loretta, I've been reading your blog lately too (linked from Sean's blog). You are really doing an amazing job and I'm also very proud of you. I have about 40# more to lose. I'm looking forward to reading about more of your successes.

Retta said...

Thank you, JoAnn! And welcome, I'm glad you stopped by to visit my blog. Isn't Sean an inspiration?! He is the very first person I "met" in bloggerworld, and he was so nice and encouraging.
Loretta
=^..^=

Sean Anderson said...

LOVE THIS POST.

You're beautiful.

Retta said...

Thank you, Sean. That means a lot to me, coming from my "weight loss hero"! (no pressure, right?) ;-)
Loretta
=^..^=

Related Posts with Thumbnails