Thursday, January 21, 2010

DAY 165 Yet Another Misleading Diet Book







Hi Journal & Friends,


Yesterday I received an email from an assistant editor at a book publishing company,  asking me to review a diet book, and then give some away.  Huh? Me? Apparently he saw I had lost a few pounds, and thought it would lend credibility to their product.





I would be curious as to your opinions... I learn so much from all of you, and this was a first for me! Here is the email I sent back to him:




Hi Mr-Fake-Name (So-I-Don't-Get-Sued),


Thanks for visiting my blog. I found your email very interesting, after I overcame the reflex to automatically hit the delete button. 


I watched the YouTube video link you provided, and went to the website with the screaming yellow and red decor. Eye catching, for sure.


Okay, here's the deal. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.  I try to be honest. With myself, and with others. I am not even sure you would want that kind of "reviewer".  But my good name is more important than money... integrity is paramount.


So, here is my first knee-jerk reaction to all the info I have read/seen today on this book (without having the benefit of actually reading the book):


1. Hey, I did that, too... no flour/no sugar
2. This guy is quite the entertainer
3. I enjoyed the info and entertaining way it was presented in the video.
4. But was highly irritated by the website... because:


--Annoying shouting, tacky colors and layout
--Too good to be true presentation
--It's low carb, but no where admits that, like it's trying to repackage an old concept and present it as something new he discovered = deceptive feeling
--It's only offering HALF the answer


That last one was the deciding factor for me. The book, according to the video and the website, focuses on the external means of change: diet and exercise (though
 some of the testimonials flaunted the fact that they lost weight WITHOUT exercise).


For the average person with a little extra lard, fine. That'll do the trick. But for a whole huge (no pun intended) chunk of the population, it is the INNER changes that are necessary to KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF.


No way on God's green earth am I going to support a weight loss method that does NOT include the inner changes--in thinking, attitude, emotions, beliefs--that are needed to make the weight loss permanent.


I have lost over 100 pounds 3 previous times in my life, with "diets", only to regain it all and then some. Why would I inflict that kind of hurt onto others???


A "diet" is something that you go ON, and at the end of it you go OFF of it. And then you REGAIN it all back unless... UNLESS, you have made permanent inner changes.


People don't get to be the size I was--460 pounds--without having inner issues. We used food as a drug of choice... a coping mechanism... a way to numb feeling, to escape, to avoid... whatever you want to call it.


Take away the food, and you are left with the feelings! Now what?? We need to face our stuff, not stuff our face.


We need to do the inner work necessary, and for most people just starting on this journey to find themselves, they need a track to run on... a guide... a simple plan to help them sort it out. It took me a heartbreaking number of years to stumble upon the answers for myself, and then finally the rest of the answers from Dr Phil's book The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution. 


I didn't follow his nutritional plan, instead I did no sugar/no flour. But the simple plan he offered for Right Thinking and Healing Feelings was life changing for me.


So go back to your author, and tell him WHY I refused to be associated with his book. And if he DOES address these issues in his book, WHY DIDN'T HE SAY SO ON HIS WEBSITE??


I'll tell you why: that kind of work takes time and effort, and facing ourselves, and it can be uncomfortable, but worth it. And HE touted all over his website how EASY AND FAST it will be. 


Sure, it will be. They will lose LOTS of water and a little fat, fast and easy. He doesn't bother to explain that it is not all FAT LOSS. Big difference. Does he think people are stupid??


But after all the fast and easy "weight" loss, then what?? 


They will be right back where they started, looking for the next fast and easy answer to their heartache.


This is too important to me... it is life and death for some of us. I have been fat ever since I was a baby. I was put on my first diet at age 10. I could fill oceans with the tears I have cried.


I am PASSIONATE about telling people the truth. And this book is ONLY HALF OF THE TRUTH.


And... it is not even the most IMPORTANT half, at that!!


Sorry, but I am giving you the respect of telling you the bottomline truth. Your book will be a flash-in-the-pan success, because it only deals with the external part of the plan, and neglects the internal part.


Which is like a car without an engine. How far do you think you can push that vehicle without an engine???? You will eventually poop out, and walk off to look for a different, better, easier car to get you to where you want to go.


Respectfully,
Loretta Stephenson
Not Your Average Reviewer






From Dr Phil's book: "Are your thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes moving you closer to what you want?"


My verse for today: "I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled."


My quote for today: "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." --Douglas Adams


Enjoy the Journey,


Loretta
=^..^=




15 comments:

karen@fitnessjourney said...

I received a similar e-mail yesterday from someone who claimed to work in a health club and wanted me to try/review his program. I will say that unlike the guy who contacted you, he mentioned that it discussed emotional issues, but it seemed like a form letter. He referred to reading about my weight loss. What weight loss? If you don't include the ONE post where I mentioned gaining (and losing) weight after my first pregnancy, I've never done a post about losing weight myself-only posts about what helps me maintain my weight.

It doesn't bother me that people do reviews on their blogs, but I don't want to do them. I think it would be difficult to review a product in an impartial way.

Olivia said...

You go girl :) That is awesome! I'm glad you reviewed the book/website because I bet it cemented in your mind the healthy lifestyle that we must all leave to achieve our goals. Love the pictures today btw.

Have a good one!
Olivia

kathyj333 said...

Any time testimonials are involved it raises a red flag for me. Most of those people have been paid to say that tried this diet and were successful. Your post made think about the Sham-Wow guy.

Anonymous said...

Loretta, Good for you! You gave that guy some TRUTH! :D I applaude your courage and your honety--and your wisdom in not being fooled. :D

Deb

Sean Anderson said...

If I get one of those request, I'll probably request permission from you to copy and paste what you've written here. You know me Loretta---I couldn't agree with you more.
Like you, I can spot flaws in these "systems" and "programs" so fast. When you know the truth, it's easy to spot.
They wouldn't want my review. I despise their marketing approach because it prey on the desperate who are just looking for a way out...and then they run into this crud and shell out the bucks.
The vast majority of the weight loss industry will not like us as our voices grow. I will not be quiet about the truth.

I applaud you my friend,

Sean

{ALL} for a Better Life said...

I have to agree with everybody - I applaud you for your honesty. You know what it takes and you are right on!

financecupcake said...

Haha, great e-mail! You really socked it to him. :)

I like that you told him NO because you know that you don't like the book, the site, and the thinking behind them. You're so right - there is nothing quick and easy about this.

Chupsie said...

love the review hate the "book"! thank god for people like you! you tell it like it is and that is all I could ever ask for. I hope he posts that review with his book! ahahaha

financecupcake said...

P.S. - I just tried facebook stalking you since I have your last name. Didn't we talk about trying to find each other on facebook a while ago? Or am I crazy?

Here I am: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=21425072

Casandra said...

Good for you!

Scarlet Simple said...

I think you made the right choice! You also said everything in a very classy way. I bet he was flabbergasted!

antgirl said...

You go! That is the God-honest truth. Success can only be found if we learn to deal with our issues. I attest. I would not have kept my 100 lbs off without it.

Easy? Fast? LOL I don't trust anything that claims that as far as life change is concerned. That is a lie in itself.

Fast is not good anyway. Not for women. It leads to more yo-yoing. Why? We loose good with the bad - muscle and bone. The faster we lose, the more muscle and bone we lose. The more muscle we lose, the more we doom ourselves to fail. Muscle is the engine that keeps the metabolism up and functioning. It is our defense against going back. That's why some strength training is important.

It's a must for women as it helps us keep our bone, too. We start with less muscle and bone, so losing it affects us more than men. Affects our health now and in the future.

Retta said...

Oh thank you all so much! I truly appreciate all the input, and the different perspectives. And it doesn't hurt to know others think the same way!
I learn so much from you all. Invariably someone says something that I hadn't thought about, or it's a different take on it that opens up whole new lines of thought.
Loretta
=^..^=

PJ Geek said...

" We need to face our stuff, not stuff our face."

That is a good one and easy to remember. Your focus on the Real problems behind our food addictions have nothing to do with these one dimensional quickfix money makers and they probably still won't get it. Good for you!

Christine said...

absolutely,
it's all, nearly..every.last.bit.mental.
Once you got that down. It's a simple matter of biological mechanics and time.
Good on you for telling that guy to blow.
And, I have to say...the scottish fold kitty in your first pic is adorable.
I love scottish folds.
hugs,
chris

Related Posts with Thumbnails