Monday, January 11, 2010

DAY 155 Weekly Update & Zero Ambivalence


Good Afternoon Journal & Friends,


I am sitting here at my computer desk, sipping my pumpkin pie flavored coffee (Mmmmm), visiting blog friends.  I wish there were more hours in the day! There are sooo many fascinating people, all with a story to tell.  I have always loved reading the biographies of famous people that I admire. Abraham Lincoln, Og Mandino, Helen Keller, Michelangelo Buonarrati, Viktor Frankl, and so many more. So I get absorbed reading the stories of your lives, and how you are turning your lives around, just by CHOOSING to do so. Isn't that amazing?? That we have that choice. We are not victims. We can choose.


Okay, back to the topic. Today is my usual Monday weigh in day. I finally got my new digital scale, and I admit I was nervous. For some reason, I had this weird thought that I wasn't really losing weight, that my old scale was just not accurate.


I am relieved to report that they weighed the same (when the old one worked, that is), and so this weeks weight is: 354, for a loss of another 2 pounds. Yes, I am happy. But yes, I am a tad jealous of you that lose faster! So, I will channel that into motivation to exercising harder, and maybe I can speed it up and be like you guys who are Energizer Bunnies! LOL!


I like making Monday my weigh in day... it helps keep me on track all weekend. I also like doing a mini-review, a sort of evaluation of the past week. Nothing formal, just a reality check, to help keep me focused and not drift off course. To keep my goals clearly in mind. It is so easy to get busy and lose that laser focus. I need to REMEMBER my goals. And I'm not talking weight here. But WHY I am losing the weight. My PASSION, who I am meant to be, the reason I am doing this.
 I need to have zero ambivalence.


I learned to directly, solidly LINK my weight loss journey into my passions and dreams, and that made a huge difference. I try now to always think of my weight loss goals LINKED with my dreams. It fuels my Determination Engine when I need some energy, when it's hard. It keeps me going. It propels me forward even on days when I don't "feel" it. 


Like today. Until I sat down at the computer, and started to connect with "me", I felt blah. But reminding myself of my whys, of my dreams and passions, has revved up my engine. I highly recommend it. ;-)


I learned to do this "link", this direct connecting, from Mary, at Meps Chronicles (HERE). She has not only lost her weight, but has continued on to live the life that was her "why", her passions and dreams. Now she writes about that in her blog. The lessons she learned WHILE losing the actual weight are the same ones she uses in maintaining that weight, and in pursuing her dreams. And she shares all this in her blog. If you have time, look at her sidebar... see the list of Favorite Posts?? I realize everyone won't have time to go back and read every post from the beginning of the blog, but you'd be doing yourself a favor to at least read the Favorite Posts. I promise, you will be inspired. I was.





From Dr Phil's book: "Are your thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes moving you closer to what you want?"


My verse for today: "You fill me with joy in your presence."


My quote for today: "This is your LIFE. Are you who you want to be?" --author unknown

















11 comments:

South Beach Steve said...

Sometimes it is easy to get jealous of those that lose faster, but in the end, if you are losing then you are winning.

Diana said...

I love that we have a choice. It's so strange that I never realized that before. I thought I didn't have a choice, everyone was out to make and keep me fat. That "everyone" included me, but I do have a choice. :)

The two-pound loss is great! What are you talking about you want to lose faster?

Do you know Tony, the Anti-Jared. I sent a letter to Weight Watchers about him, about how they've blackballed him and won't acknowledge his successful weight loss. They wrote back to me and said he had to have lost no more than two pounds a week to qualify for lifetime status and recognition. If you know Tony, he lost almost all his weight in the first year, 200 lbs. They won't even acknowlege him (makes me furious).

What I'm saying is that two pounds is great. You really don't want to lose any more than the two pounds a week. Slow and steady wins the race.

I love Mary too. I just finished reading back on several of her posts. She's such an amazing lady and my hero, much the same as you. I mean seriously, how many people have lost 100 pounds? Pretty impressive. :)

Olivia said...

Congrats on the 2 pounds! That is great. I have also already opened that blog you suggested and will give it a look.

You are so right about weaving your dreams and passions in with the need/desire to lose weight. I really am starting to get passionate about this Triathlon, and I have this feeling it is going to push me through to my goal weight.

I nominated you for an award on my blog if you get a chance to stop by :)

Have a great day!
Olivia

Anonymous said...

"I need to remember why I'm losing the weight...my passion,...my reasons...who I am meant to be.." Me, too, Loretta. ME, too! As I've said on my own blog, it is quite apparent to me that losing just to achieve a normal weight isn't enough--or I wouldn't have gained it back...& back...& back.

It's working towards those reasons that makes our weight loss experience turn into "lessons learned & skills achieved" in a way that furthers our life-living goals. Which, in turn, allows us t live our lives in victory rather than eat our lives away in defeat.

:D Ha. That was a lot of words to say, "I get it!" Thanks, Loretta. Your posts so often seem to speak out my own thoughts. So glad I found you.

Deb

{ALL} for a Better Life said...

I love that you have a reason, I think that Sean spoke about this very thing a few days ago and the best advice was given to his daughter...DARE TO DREAM!

Congrats on your 2 lbs. that is amazing.

Casandra said...

Yes! 2 more pounds gone forever! Great job girl!

Joanne said...

Excellent Loretta - congrats on the 2 GONE!!! I will check out Mary's blog. I find I do well with people that inspire me with a completed journey and they are still blogging and helping. I also adore my blog friends that are walking the journey with me.

I must remember to weigh myself this weekend - I am feeling good about somethings but still need to see those numbers dropping.

Retta said...

STEVE: I need to not get impatient. You are so right, as long as I'm losing, that's the important thing.

DIANA: No, I didn't know that WW's had blackballed Tony! I agree that is unfair.

OLIVIA: That is so cool... a Triathlon! I've been following your training for it. Be sure to take your camera and show us lots of pics of the real deal. :-)

DEB: "eat our lives away in defeat". That is EXACTLY how I used to feel. Exactly. Now I feel such hope. The contrast is like night and day, and I am so thankful!

KIM: Yes, Sean is my HERO! Love, Love, Love following him!

CASANDRA: Thank you. My inner kid is pouting: but I don't WANNA be a member of the Turtle Club. LOL!! But losing is better than gaining. So I am choosing to be thankful. ;-)

JOANNE: Me, too, Joanne, I really appreciate that Mary is still blogging. She is keeping it off, and going on to live her dreams. That gives the rest of us such hope. I just know you will love her blog, too.

Loretta
=^..^=

antgirl said...

Awwww. I am so thrilled that I helped connect you to your passion. I now consider 2010 a successful year. ;-D

It amazes me everyday how I get to choose. It really does.

Two pounds a week is just fine. The faster you lose, the higher percentage of muscle and bone you are losing in that weight. Us women are already on the losing end with the two of those, so a steady, sensible loss is healthier for you.

Losing muscle damns us by lowering out metabolism. Losing bone damns us by making us more susceptible to osteoperosis [i probably spelled that wrong]. Losing weight sensibly helps keep us strong. It's also why using weights to strengthen is important for women, so that we get to keep our muscle and bone.

financecupcake said...

Nice job, Loretta! You are doing fantastic.

I love reading your blog. You are really, truly, making this a way of life. You are awesome!

Nancy B. Kennedy said...

Yow! It wasn't until today that I really read your numbers. What an accomplishment! I know it can be disheartening to lose slowly, but I think it also helps you adjust mentally to the new you. You OWN your weight loss, because you realize you are maintaining it over time. The NEW you is YOU!

Related Posts with Thumbnails