Friday, January 8, 2010

DAY 152 Challenge Update & No Longer a One-Armed Bandit!

Hello Journal & Friends!







I made it! Today is the end of Week 1 of The Perfect 10 Challenge. , that South Beach Steve started.





My goals:
To exercise 6 days per week. 


1. Exercise with my Richard Simmons DVD's 3 days out of each week. Yep, did that.
2. Exercise on my mini-trampoline 4 days out of each week. Yep, did that too.
3. As I get stronger, lengthen the time spent on each mini-tramp session. Yay, did that once already! :-D


 I was so excited about some progress I made this week, I couldn't WAIT for the Friday Perfect 10 update!!


Background: about 4 YEARS ago I injured first one shoulder, then the other. Very painful and limiting. Did all the usual, nothing helped. It was just going to take time. I would make progress, have set-backs, make progress, have set-backs... yadda yadda yadda. Finally after about 3 years, the right one got better, and stabilized. But the left one has been stubborn.


When it was first injured, there were times it was in a sling. I was like a one-winged bird. Then I finally didn't need the sling, but couldn't raise it up at all. Got better. Could raise it some...etc etc. Not even baby steps... more like ameba steps (do amebae take steps? or do they slither...sounds like something Fools Fitness would ponder, ha ha ha). All this time during recovery from the damaged shoulder, the muscles of the shoulder and arm got weaker and weaker. 


When I exercised to a DVD, I had to get used to doing it lopsided, or risk pain and re-injury. The big news is...this week, after YEARS,  I am no longer the one-armed bandit... I did the whole DVD routine yesterday with both arms in sync!! I am so happy, I could do cartwheels!





I am so excited to finally see this kind of progress. It is such a relief. I was urged to have shoulder surgery, but now I don't have to! I am happy happy happy!!!!!!!!


Okay, enough blathering about my shoulder. :-)


One rule in The Perfect 10 Challenge is... at each weekly update, we must tell one thing about ourself that you probably don't know. I was going to pick something funny, but something else keeps popping up. So here goes:


I was born with a birth defect. In dogs, they call it hip dsyplasia (good thing I'm not a doggie, or they would've put me to sleep). Basically, the hip socket isn't fully formed, so the ball of the bone on the upper thigh sits outside, instead of in it's little socket... cuz there is no socket. Left untreated, you are crippled, or it shoves the legbone up and the leg is shorter... either way, it hurts. To fix it, they put the baby in leg braces, with a metal bar from foot to foot, to keep the legs stretched out in a V shape, to force the legbone to grow into the hip, and finish forming the hip socket. 


Long story just to say, I wore those braces for 3 years, so didn't learn to walk til afterwards. Then it was orthopedic shoes til the 5th grade, when I had a fit at the thought of more teasing torture from other kids, and absolutely refused to wear them any longer. My Mom, blesss her, understood and relented.


So why have I been thinking about that?? I remember a post Sean Anderson  wrote, where he talked about the benefits of being overweight. It was a different perspective, all right! He was showing how to find the silver lining, that it's all in the attitude. For example, he now has more compassion for people, since he has gone through these painful experiences himself. Sorry, I looked and looked for the specific post... can't find it! (edited to add: it's Day 135, "Thank You Letter To Morbid Obesity". Thanks, Sean!)


I was applying that idea to me starting out with a painful struggle like that... and wondering if it wasn't the very thing that helped to form my character and affect me at such a young age. It was a struggle, and when we meet resistance and overcome it, we get stronger. 


Sure, there were negative affects from it that I won't go into now, but I am thinking it also gave me a benefit. I can be very determined when I want to!! Tenacious... persistent... stubborn if you will. And aimed at the right thing, these traits can be a positive force. 


I'm not talking about "self-sufficiency", where I am "all that" and don't need God. No, I am talking about a tendency to either wimp out, or choose to dig in and go forward, once I make up my mind. I just wish I had applied that to this weight thing sooner.


Well, for whatever reason, I am determined to make it this time. And to enjoy the journey along the way. Sure, there are occasional bumps in the road, that's life. But overall, I refuse to be detoured by them, but to stay on the main road, and LIVE on this road trip called life!





From Dr Phil's book: "You can create an internal dialogue that is healthy, constructive, and joyful."


My verse for today: "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."


My quote for today: "Time is all you have. And you may find one day that you have less than you think." --Randy Pausch


























18 comments:

Olivia said...

Wow Loretta, the more I read your blog, the more I learn what a strong woman you are. That is amazing about your shoulder! I'm so happy for you!! :) Congrats on the progress this week.

Hugs,
Olivia

South Beach Steve said...

Loretta, great update! I am so glad to see you aren't a one-winged bird anymore!

The story about your hip is very interesting. Aren't you glad that they were able to fix it? I agree with your message - everything that happens in our life helps to make us who we are.

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Now don't go trying those cartwheels-you might re-injure yourself! LOL!

My daughter was born with hip dysplasia too. She was only in a brace for about a year, but her orthopedist said he'd seen children who, left untreated, ended up having surgery that left them in a full body cast for months.

Helen said...

Great job Loretta, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great job on the Perfect 10 Loretta! You have certainly had some challenges with that hip of yours.

Patsy said...

Great update! I look forward to following your progress. :o)

Anonymous said...

Loretta! What a victorious post!! I am shouting for joy!!! From the arm healing, to meeting your challenge goals, to overcoming the hip defect--WaHoo, You!!! This was gritty, real stuff victory and determination--and passionate trust in God. I just love hope! :D Deb

P.S. When in January is your birthday? Mine is Jan 11--I'll be 58. Yikes!

Pippa * Jeanne said...

Loretta, congratulations on a GREAT 1st week of the Perfect 10! I know what you mean about being so excited you could hardly wait for update day. =)

Wow, and I agree, all these challenges are there for a perfect purpose. Doesn't matter if we don't understand it right away (or even ever) but it IS liberating to know we can simply trust that it IS so!

Stephanie said...

This is a great post to read. Very triumphant. I'm so glad to hear about your shoulders, too!
BODA weight loss

Christy said...

Congrats on your progress, and on overcoming adversity!

Traci Michele said...

You are doing a great job! Found you over at choosing freedom. I'm going to follow you. Please come follow me on my journey from 192-155...

Hugs,
Traci

http://www.choose2livechoosehealth.blogspot.com

Christine said...

good post, good job loretta.
You are absolutely right.
adversity overcome makes you a stronger and more compassionate individual.
Good to know you.

Unknown said...

Great job on those goals! I know exactly which post of Sean's you are talking about, because I remember reading it myself. I also know what you mean about adversity making you stronger and more compassionate, of course in some cases that will only happen when you can forgive and let go... but that would be me talking about me, not you! :)
Anyway, I think you are doing great!

PJ Geek said...

Good post, Loretta. Congrads on the exercise progress and it really makes you appreciate the little things when you lose them and then get them back.
You do seem strong/wise/tenacious. And even better, offering that wisdom to who ever is willing to receive it.
As a fat child, I'd been made fun of and teased. As an adult trying to exercise to help my wt, I remember having jokes played on me when I was in college or having people yell at me and call me names . But even worse sometimes, is people that just think we who are overweight or different are lazy and have no willpower or are completely weak natured. They have no idea of the strength and will we use everyday.
I'm always inspired by your site. Keep Going!

Also, I am a nurse and have worked with people going through rehab from traumatic injury. A recent client had both shoulder/leg/pelvis
injuries and had amazing results in pool therapy with physical therapy. I didn't even know that under water treadmills existed. I'm not sure if this is something you can work towards or if it's available in your area, but had thought of you and wanted to mention it.

Sean Anderson said...

Loretta,

You're talking about Day 135 "Thank You Letter To Morbid Obesity."

Your development and attitude and self-discovery make me smile from ear to ear.
What a wonderfully beautiful person inside and out.

Following your journey is such a wonderful thing to me.

Thank you for all you share and do. You're an inspiration Loretta.

My best always
Sean

Shelli Belly said...

Loretta thank you for your honesty. I'm so happy that you share with such honesty.

My theme for 2010 is "People don't believe what you say. They believe what you do."

Loretta you've been a great example to me.

Great going with the Perfect 10 challenge.
Keep on keeping on!

Anne said...

Lorretta,

I am so, so ,so happy for you! Congrats on the shoulder and on the Perfect 10!

Retta said...

Thank you everyone for such wonderful comments. I appreciate them more than you know.
Loretta
=^..^=

Related Posts with Thumbnails