Tuesday, February 16, 2010

DAY 191 Toon Tuesday Fable

Hello Journal & Friends!

I wanted to post today's Toon Tuesday this morning, cuz later today is my biopsy, and I might feel grumpier then, LOL!


The illustrations are black and white 18th century woodcuts that I had fun coloring. The story... I am to blame for that, LOL!



The Farmer & The Rabbit

There once was a Farmer who decided to raise carrots.


All winter long, he looked at the luscious seed catalogs, and dreamed of his big crop. The snow finally thawed and the weather warmed up.  Spring arrived, birds sang, and the earth was bursting with new life.

As spring turned to summer, The Farmer visited his fields every day, checking the progress of his precious crop of carrots.  Day after day, he repeated his routine.


Summer was fading into Fall, and STILL he saw no results! 

He was exasperated.
He was disappointed.
He was angry.

And... he was confused.

What was wrong?? He was eager to reap his bounty... but there was no bounty to reap!!

Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a flash of movement. A rabbit!

Aha!! Now he knew who to blame for his lack of a crop. He grabbed his shotgun and sprinted toward the rabbit, finally cornering him at the edge of the field.

"Why do you want to hurt me?" asked Mr Rabbit, trembling in fear.

"You stole my carrots!" thundered The Farmer.

"Please, good sir," pleaded Mr Rabbit, "show mercy on me. I am innocent."

The Farmer, his eyes narrowed in suspicion, growled: "Then how do you explain where all my carrots went?"

Mr Rabbit bravely hopped closer to The Farmer. Quietly he said: "I have lived here all of my life. Yet never did I see you sow a crop of carrots.  All rabbits know this truth, good sir... that you reap what you sow."


Stunned, The Farmer lowered his shotgun, realization dawning on him, as the brave little Rabbit hopped away.

The End.


The moral of the story, boys and girls in weight loss blogland, is that the time to prepare is not when trouble hits, when temptation strikes, when pressures mount.

The sowing of the seeds is better done ahead of time, day afer day, consistently planting seeds into our minds.
  • Seeds of Truth
  • Seeds of Determination
  • Seeds of Hope
  • Seeds of Commitment
  • Seeds of Purpose
  • Seeds of Self-honesty

Every good little choice along the way will add up, and yield a bigger harvest later.

Even when we didn't realize it... when we didn't feel it... those seeds were growing under the surface, quietly doing their work. Quietly changing us.

Then, later, we can reap a harvest from all our hard work. It will BE there when we need it, with deep, strong roots. We can gather what we need, to see us through.

Aren't rabbits smart?!


From Dr Phil's book: "You must get in touch with your thoughts and feelings and why you're having them."

My verse for today: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

My quote for today: "I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."  --Winnie the Pooh

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=


11 comments:

Leslie said...

Love this "toon"! Very thoughtful and wise. I'll be thinking about you this afternoon, hoping and praying that the biopsy is easy, smooth, and yields the best possible results.

And I love the image of continually planting seeds in our minds, and in our lives. Thanks for this.

Beth said...

You're in my thoughts today, Loretta. Hope everything goes smoothly.

{ALL} for a Better Life said...

I will be thinking of you through this biopsy my friend! I love your visual, you are just so clever!

x said...

Thinking good thoughts for you today! :)

antgirl said...

Been thinking of ya! Hope everything goes all right. How long do you have to wait on pathology?

Great fable. Did I ever send you the link to the publisher looking for illustrators for childrens books? If not, shout at me. Might be something you're interested in. :)

Fiona said...

Love it!

financecupcake said...

WOW. What a fantastic story! I didn't see the moral coming at all! The illustrations are too cool. They really do look like something out of a story book.

You've been in my thoughts today! BIG HUGS! I'm hoping you are not feeling too horrible.

paulawannacracker said...

I enjoyed the story and the ending. I hope everything goes well with the biopsy. I'm sending you lots of postive energy your way and said a prayer for good measure. [[hugs]].

foolsfitness said...

You are in my prayers. I'll say my next Rosary with you in mind.

I like the way you have with colors. Actually the story is great too.

I really felt for the bunny's perspective oddly. I have squrriels in my walls and I just don't have the heart to pursue evicting them... although sometimes I wish they would kick in a bit for rent. (At least they don't play loud music into the early hours of the morning...) I could have worse neibors.

I've learned a lot from my rodent buddies. I had a post way back in the blog about how they are so incredibally focused on finding the next acorn. I honestly appreciate and admire that quality.

-Alan of Foolsfitness

antgirl said...

2 whole weeks? That blows. My cat's only took a couple of days. Seems humans should get their pathology as quick. Ya'd think.

I really, honestly hopes it turns out to be nothing to be very concerned about. Be grumpy if you want to. :)

Christine said...

I love winnie the pooh....
He is one of my favorite philosophers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails