Thursday, February 4, 2010

DAY 179 Looking in the Mirror, the 4th & Final Part!


Hi Journal & Friends,

This will be the last one, I promise! :-D

It finally clicked for me!


I have been mulling it over all week, and yesterday as I was doing my exercise, it clicked... this idea of how I had been interpreting Pressure all my life... thinking of it as a negative.

In case you have a LOT of time to kill and missed them, here are the previous parts to this epic:

Anyway, a couple of days ago I realized I needed a ONE word response when the idea of pressure arose in my mind. My little acrostic is nice: SAS, Strength, Achievement, and Spunk. But... it was too LONG for an instant response.

THEN... I remembered that I had decided to look at my husbands resistance to my efforts to change as an OPPORTUNITY to get stronger (I wrote all about that way back here).

And THEN... I remembered that when I started my blog, I knew it would be a bit of "pressure" to commit to posting daily. But I called it Good Pressure, knowing that it would help me stay focused.

And THEN... I remembered that is exactly the reason I joined The Perfect 10 Challenge that South Beach Steve started... it would provide "good pressure" to keep me exercising, even when I didn't really feel like it.

I had been using this idea quite a bit already and didn't realize it! This idea of looking at things as opportunities, which is a positive, rather than thinking of them as a negative. 

That's when it clicked... finally...oh happy day!


So I actually had been using a limited version of this approach. All I needed to do was spread my wings and FLY! 

AND I GOT THE VISUAL IMAGE I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR! 


The eagle spreads out his wings and catches the thermal drafts, and soars! These are rising currents of warm air and updrafts. The eagles don't have to flap like crazy... they glide along, using the turbulence. They climb high in a thermal, which can take them long distances with little effort. Then they soar on down to catch the next updraft, and repeat the process. From victory to victory! 

I finally get it. I was like an eaglet, just learning to fly. I want to have the courage to catch that updraft, and ride the winds! I need to spread my wings and catch that next thermal, and just be bold and get out there and FLY! 

I want my response to Pressure to be one that interprets it as  OPPORTUNITY.






From Dr Phil's book: "By changing the way you think, you can change the way you feel and act."

My verse for today: "They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles' wings."

My quote for today: "Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new." --Og Mandino

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=





11 comments:

Christine said...

Act as if you cannot fail.
That is what I have done.
It works.
If you wander around all the time CERTAIN YOU WILL FAIL.
you will fail.
If you wander around all t he time saying
"I don't overeat"...."That's not who I am"
Then you don't overeat, it's not who you are..
as you think, you are.

x said...

I like the symbolism here. The draft is the upsweep and the important part for you as the eagle is to hold strong and steady with your head high and you will be uplifted.

AND these new opportunities will no longer ruffle your feathers.

Anonymous said...

:-D

antgirl said...

Fly, sister, fly!

Your idea of looking at it as opportunity as helped me, too. So thank you for that.

Kristina said...

Love this post! Im going to try and apply that theory to my own life/journey and see what happens. And I love your visual..........fly!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... still mulling. :) Deb

Kat said...

You are an inspiration Loretta. I am realizing more and more that how much my thoughts affect the outcome of my goals. We have to believe we can do it, for sure.

clickmom said...

Inspiring. Must do some personal re-assessing now.

soontobe...skinnygirl said...

Good for you Loretta! You go girl!

-B

South Beach Steve said...

Loretta, this is really a great way to look at it. I also love the eagle analogy.

PJ Geek said...

I'm rushing thru this am checking my favorite blogs and will come back later and read more of yours.. yesterday was rough with me because ofmy husbands' resistance to my efforts..he wanted me to skip kickboxing and go out to eat..a. kickboxing is just twice a week and is real actual fun and stress relief for me...b. I 'd already talked to him about setting a goal of not eating out until valentines day...i need strength! very timely post..i'll spend more time on it later this weekend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails