Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12/12/12 Bluebirds & The End of the World

Well, it would appear we are still here. It's not the end of the world today, as some interpretations of the ancient Mayan calendar predicted. Whew... that's a relief. ;-)
(Edited to add: it was pointed out to me that most people thinks "it" could happen on Dec 21st... so we still have plenty of time to enjoy the holidays! ha ha ha)

I recently bought myself a little Christmas present (since I assumed Christmas would, indeed, arrive). They are a vintage set of little glass Bluebirds of Happiness.



They are symbolic to me... they remind me of several things. Life is fragile (glass), handle with care.

My favorite color has long been blue. My wedding cake was decorated with blue roses, and my wedding dress had little blue forget-me-nots embroidered on the bodice. I have a small collection of blue glass bottles.

Part of the lyrics to the song "Over the Rainbow" are:

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?




To me, it's about hope. About believing in your dream. About never giving up. These little guys make me smile when I look at them. They remind me that with God, all things are possible. To keep believing, to trust, to never give up.

This has been a tough year for me. Physically, medically, emotionally. I ended up the year heavier than when I started it. I experimented with several different things, and most were... ahem... mistakes. Or maybe I just didn't do them right. And part of the time, I just got plain discouraged and didn't try hard enough. That's just the truth.  

All I know is... to keep going. To keep on keepin' on. 

To learn from my mistakes, and to make changes where necessary. Some of those changes might be hard, but one of the things I've learned is: respect yourself, respect others. And even when you goof up on this journey, learn from it and go on; don't treat yourself with disrespect. And don't let anyone else do it, either. 

Like I said, life is fragile, and so are people. We are all going through "stuff". We might not know what the other guy is going through, but life being what it is... you can bet that sooner or later, we all need that soft place to land, that benefit of the doubt, that bit of kindness.




If anyone is reading this, I wish you the most wonderful Christmas! And if you don't celebrate Christmas, then I bless you with a wonderful winter!



My book quote for today: "The basis for this book is the advice of the apostle Paul as recorded in Philipians 4:8, where he challenges us to seek out and dwell on the positives in our lives. When we look for places where God's character is revealed, we are reminded of his presence in our lives, and we are blessed." --Tommy Newberry, The 4:8 Principle

My verse for today: "Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way."

My quote for today: "Speak only when your words are more beautiful than the silence." Arabic proverb


Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=

DAY 1208

10 comments:

Unknown said...

DANG :)
we are still here.
I best git packing for my move then...

MizFit

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

I thought the end was 12/21....I didn't even know to be worried! haha

Blue is also my favorite color, and I love those bluebirds!

BELIEVE, my friend, BELIEVE. There IS freedom, I promise you there is. BELIEVE.

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (NIV)

2 Corinthians 3:17
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. (NIV)

Galatians 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (NIV)

Ephesians 3:12
In him [Christ] and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. (NIV)

Retta said...

:-D

Retta said...

Did I get the wrong date?? Oh well, at least I got my birdies in time. ;-)

LOVE those verses on Freedom. I made a copy to re-read. Thank you, M!

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

So good to see a post from you again, Loretta. I do check in on your art once in a while, but it's good to hear that you are still working away at your goal. I love your positive attitude. The bluebirds embody that for sure.

Retta said...

Hi YellowRose, it's good to hear from you, too! Merry Christmas to you. :-)

PJ Geek said...

well said. I know it's been a tough year...for me too and there are tough critics out there..but there are good people too.

Retta said...

Thanks, PJ, I appreciate your thoughts. May this next year be better for both of us.

M Pax said...

I love your bluebirds. They're so sweet. There is always hope. Friday reminded how much I have to be grateful for. Merry Christmas, Loretta!

Retta said...

Thank you, Mary. And Merry Christmas to you, too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails