Friday, May 13, 2011

MAY 13th Time to Bloom

Hello there Journal & Friends,

Blogger was acting stupid all day Thursday and I couldn't post this. So, I've just left it the way I wrote it yesterday:


Friday I am starting a new challenge with a Secret Partner. It's a "no excuses" challenge that will last til Sept 16th. The two of us are making up our own daily goals list, and will email each other our daily results... yes or no. Got it done, or not. No excuses. I've been floating too long, drifting and "trying". That's over. 

Tuesday I used a quote from Dr Phil that said:


"When you do things differently,
giving up those parts of your life
that have been self-defeating
for those which are self-affirming,
your weight, your health, and
your life change dramatically.
You acquire self-discipline
and strength."



My Secret Partner and I have each made out our own lists of "self-defeating" behaviors, and chosen our new lists of daily goals with the "self-affirming" corrections. And doing so has helped me see that I've allowed stuff to creep back in... and I've been a little discouraged at my lack of progress. 

Yet... at the same time, I was ENCOURAGED this morning by my progress. Kind of a weird paradox.

See, I went outside and was enjoying all the blooming plants in our yard. And I remembered how they used to look... and remembered that it takes time, persistance, hard work, and trust that it WILL pay off... in time. 

Not right after it's been planted... not in the winter... but in the spring, at the right time.


Here is what our house looked like, when we first moved in a couple of years ago. (As always, can click on any pics to enlarge)




We did a lot of work in the front.




Put in the concrete parking pad, and half circle drive, covered ramp, and landscaped hill.




Here is it after the plants were added, in April of 2010. They looked so tiny. :-)




And this is what I saw THIS MORNING!! That same hill (looking from the other direction) was busting out with blooms! I looked at that, and thought of my own journey... how I felt like I was coming out of winter, and felt ready for my own spring growth!




Here is the flower barrel Jim built last year, newly planted, with the ground all bare behind it.




And this is the same planter THIS MORNING, with all the flowers and plants behind it, all singing out loud, just bursting with "aliveness"!




The same thing happened with the barrel Jim built for our strawberries. Here it was from April of 2010, newly planted with dinky little strawberry plants... so new, so hopeful.




And sure enough, they grew and in May here came strawberries.





But then came summer...  then fall... then winter. I was sure they were dead. Early March of this year, I decided to scoop out all the dead leaves and debris, to get ready for a new planting. Lo and behold... there was LIFE under all the dead stuff!!





And now, with a little sunshine and rain, all by themselves, they have revived! And even spread out onto the ground next to the planter...here they are, bursting with new life this morning. :-)




I'm thinking I need to remember this is a process. And sometimes it might feel like winter. But if I trust, and never quit, and believe... I will grow and revive and thrive, too. 

And so I'm claiming that for myself. And that's why I am doing this new challenge with my Secret Partner. We both have felt like we are coming out of a "winter". And we are determined to have our Spring, no excuses. 





From Dr Phil's book: "It will happen because you have made the decision to step up and do what it takes to have what you want."

My verse for today: "They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the Lord gave them rest on every side."

My quote for today: "This isn't forever, it's just for the rest of your life." --Jack Sh*t, Jack Sh*t Getting Fit 

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=

DAY 637



9 comments:

MargieAnne said...

Hi. You might have guessed, if you were thinking of me, that I've been experiencing a deep dark winter. There have been a few rays of sunshine here and there but on the whole my life is ..... not going there.

Then I read your post and remember what a little sun and rain can do. Time to look at my life from a different perspective and do a bit of nurturing.

I'll be back writing/Blogging again soon. Promise.

Bye for now and lots of Blessings from our heavenly Father.

E. Jane said...

Loretta, I love what you have done with your house and yard. The flowers are beautiful.

Good luck to you and your partner in weight loss. For some reason, this past winter has been very hard on us weight loss bloggers. Many of us have been struggling significantly. I'm finally on track again, but a few weeks ago I was concerned that I would every be able to muster up the emotional strength to continue this battle. You have been an inspiration to me, Loretta. I want to acknowledge your support and how much I appreciate you.

Christine said...

oh, it's beautiful. I love your yard! I couldn't post yesterday either...and was really bummed for some reason. It's like anything worth doing....gardening, weight loss, parenting. It takes time and persistence. Loved this post.

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

Happy Spring to you! What a nice way to start off with inspiration for your new challenge. All good things to you- loved the hope in this post.

Anonymous said...

I love that you have a Secret Partner. How mysterious and wonderful!!! I wish you both much success.

The pictures are gorgeous! You really transformed your home!!!

Becky Baker Horn said...

Thank you for the inspiration -- I really needed it today!

debby said...

Gorgeous plantings! And I love the way you relate it to our own journey. Makes me hopeful that when things seem dead, its just winter and they can revive.

financecupcake said...

You have such a beautiful yard!!!! I am really excited about your challenge. You're going to do awesome, Retta!!! :)

M Pax said...

I like your new plan and your rebirth of enthusiasm. I love your continued optimism. It grows and overflows in you like the strawberry plants. Awesome work, on yourself and the house.

Related Posts with Thumbnails