Monday, June 19, 2017

June 18th Finally Feeling a Little Hope

Don't have a lot to say. Still struggling with the medication side effects.

It's finally warm here in Oregon, and I've been able to do pool exercises almost every day in my little backyard therapy pool. Just that change alone has been very encouraging. Our trees are in bloom and the bees, bumblebees and butterflies are fun to watch while I exercise.



Was cleaning out some old files, and found this prayer from a 17th century Nun. It really tickled me, so I thought I'd pass it on, in the off chance that I'm not the only one that can relate to it. ;-)


Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself, that I am growing older 
and will someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must
say something on every subject and every occasion. 

Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. 
Make me thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. 
With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all, 
but Thou knowest Lord that I want few friends at the end. 

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; 
give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips from aches and pains. 
They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter 
as the years go by. I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales 
of others' pains, but help me to endure them with patience.

I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a 
sureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. 
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a saint - 
some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old person 
is one of the crowning works of the devil.

Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, 
and talents in unexpected people. 
And give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so. 
Amen.


Still on the journey,
Retta



5 comments:

Deb Willbefree said...

Sighhhhhhh.

I wish I did not identify with so much of this prayer. :} But nice to read the words of a a "boat-mate".

Deb

P.S. I stray cat had a litter of kittens under my front porch. :O I've thought of you and your love of cats several times as I've searched for someone to COME AND GET THESE CATS out from under my porch! (Bill is having major back surgery in a week and not up to crawling under this porch and wrestling them out.) Sighhhh. Yes. Again. Sighhhh.

Retta said...

Oh, so sorry to read that Bill is needing back surgery. May it go WELL and he have a swift recovery!

MargieAnne said...

The prayer resonates with me too. I think it is my constant inner cry. Living in close proximity to our sons' family demands that I never interfere. So what's the difference between interfering and offering the wisdom of years. Absolutely nothing, if you're me. Isn't there something about controlling the tongue.... oh yes James wrote ' Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check' Haha I have a long long way to go. Thank goodness for the grace of God.

Belssings Anne :)

Deb Willbefree said...

Hey. Do you remember Allan Klein of Almost Gastric Bypass? I just heard that he passed away the end of November. Cancer. I feel badly about that. I had hoped he'd find the Lord. Who knows? maybe before his life ended, he did.

Retta said...

Yes, Deb, I definitely remember Allan Klein. I didn't like him at all as a person, but I sure wouldn't have wanted this to happen to him. Having been given a diagnosis of cancer myself, I'm pretty sure it caused him to do some serious soul searching. So it very well could be true he made peace with the Lord. I hope so. Thanks for letting me know, I don't keep up much any more with bloggers in the wt loss community.

Related Posts with Thumbnails