Saturday, October 15, 2011

OCT 15th A Short Word of Caution

Hi Journal & Friends,




I haven't eaten aspartame in over 20 years. Brand names include NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. I don't bug others about it... but I do care. So, even if ONE person reads the article below and is helped, it would be worth it. I especially cringe when growing children are being fed aspartame.

I'm not a purist, and yes, still enjoy sweet stuff. My main sweeteners these days are stevia, xylitol, Z Sweet, erythritol, and Splenda. And I'm gradually reducing my Splenda intake (hard to give up those sugar free daVinci syrups, dontcha know!). It takes practice to get good results with some of the natural sweeteners, but it's worth it.

Below is an article by Dr Mercola that I PLEAD with you to read if you still eat aspartame. It's in diet soda, sugar-free jello, and tons of other stuff. Please please at least read this, and then you can make up your own mind. If it's not for you, then okay... at least you made in informed choice. 

I've met so many wonderful people in Bloggyland, and I share this info not out of judgement, but from a place of caring.  I'm not the Food Police. I'm just sharing the info, not looking over your shoulder to see what's in your basket (I've actually had that happen to me!).

(not!)


Here's a teaser about the article:


Story at-a-glance

The artificial sweetener aspartame (Nutrasweet) 
was found to induce cancer in both mice and rats

Past studies have also concluded aspartame is carcinogenic, 
and its toxic effects increase if exposure begins in the womb

There are over 900 published studies 
on the health hazards of aspartame


CONTAINING THE RESULTS OF NEW RESEARCH



If you read this and decide you want to drop aspartame from your menu and need hints about using other sweeteners, I'll be glad to share some tips and links with you. I'm no expert, that's a for sure! But, I've been dinking around with stevia for 20 years, and have been asked many times for info. I finally put it all together on one page. See PAGES at the upper right of my blog, in the sidebar, and click on All About Stevia for some suggestions. This is important enough that I am willing to invest the time for your health's sake. :-)



From Dr Phil's book: "Your food plan sustains your commitment in the absence of emotional energy."

My verse for today: "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord."

My quote for today: "Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." --Danny Kaye

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=

DAY 790

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't have a chance to read the article right now, but I wanted to make a comment, anyway. :} I'm good like that.

When I use aspartame on a regular basis, it give me cognition problems. I have trouble with word-finding and often feel like my thoughts aren't quite pushing through. I don't know how to describe that. But instead of having a smooth flow of thoughts, it's like I'm pushing a car uphill in the snow.

Worse, I have "blank spots" just like w/ Alzhiemers. One time, I got into the car with my key in my hand...and did NOT know what to do. I simply had no idea how to start the car.

All my ohter "thinking" was fine. I was even able to say to myself, "Deb, just start the car."
But I did not know how. It was terrifying.

Been 20 years. That has never happened again and I have not had aspartame except by accident or at a function out since.

By the way, it was months, maybe even a year, later before I saw the research that said aspartame could do that.

Good warning, Loretta.

Deb

Unknown said...

Hi Loretta! I went through all the stages of all the sweeteners and have now settled back on real sugar. I don't eat too much of it anyway, so it's not going to hurt me much and not very many calories.

:-) Marion

Anonymous said...

I don't use aspartame, I use some other chemically sweetener. I find stevia has an after taste, but I saw a new local company that offers stevia and they are going to send me a sample...then I can get off my chemically one.

Hope you are having a great weekend Loretta!

Anonymous said...

I am vehemently against artificial sweeteners - and I include Stevia in that grouping - for myself. From a reactive standpoint, they upset my stomach and/or cause headaches/migraines. I use white or brown sugar (brown sugar is less on the Points Plus scale), and agave, and honey. :-)

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

This is really scary stuff and I appreciate your gentle nudge. Maybe I'll nudge a few others... and do it nicely. For me I can't seem to do artificial sweeteners at all so I stay away from diet foods, sugar free, etc. It gives me a literally instant migraine headache, as in 3-5 minutes turn around time. And it is so bad that I have ended up on the floor in a dark room wanting to vomit at a party where I was accidentally exposed. I am very careful now and it keeps me from eating too much at parties, etc. in some ways because I won't eat stuff that I don't absolutely know what's in it. The pain and nausea are just not worth it. I do have lots of allergies and it seems that my body just recognizes this stuff as poison.

Anne H said...

I quit Nutra Sweet already for sure....
But it still tries to sneak in... when we least suspect it!
I don't like darn Stevia.
It actually makes me cringe. And worse.
Splenda is my drug of choice.... for now!
Good post!

M Pax said...

I avoid all artificial sweetners. I've never eaten a lot of sugar, so it's not something I buy often. I prefer to use brown or raw or honey when I do use it. I've started using a combo of raw and dark brown in baking. But I don't bake often either.

I did make Jay's birthday pie on Saturday, and the sugar seemed like so much. 3/4 of a cup. I used raw sugar and only used 1/2 a cup. We both thought it plenty sweet enough. But perhaps that's because we don't eat a lot of it.

margaret said...

I read an article on aspartame being a possible carcinogenic in a medical journal a couple of years ago (used to work for a physician and sometimes it got boring so I read whatever was at hand!) and haven't been keen on it since. Yes, we all know what sugar can do and that the chemicals used in making it all nice and white aren't nice *but* at the end of the day it's the devil you know versus the devil you don't for me. I'd rather have small amounts of sugar than splurge on things sweetened artificially. My weight is a nightmare at the moment but I'm learning that self-discipline and a certain amount of hunger is better than having anything I want if it comes with all sorts of weird chemicals.

Related Posts with Thumbnails