Monday, December 7, 2009

DAY 120 Countdown to Christmas Challenge



Good Afternoon Journal & Friends!


So this is my report for Week 5 of the Countdown to Christmas Challenge started by Bella on The Beach. 





I started late, so Bella is ahead of me. But I can't believe it's only 16 days til Christmas! Having that little ticker in my sidebar has made me so aware of TIME passing. It has turned out to be a terrific little motivator for me! Who knew?! It makes me want to try harder. Time will pass, whether or not I do a thing. So it might as well be productive!


Down to business: my goal for the Countdown to Christmas Challenge was to exercise 5 days per week until Christmas. Did I succeed this last week?? YES. It was the hardest week yet, and I almost wimped out one day, but pushed through and did it. 


When my chosen Reward, a Crystal Salt Lamp, arrived, I told MyGuy to hide from me, and wrap it up for Christmas. I didn't even want to see it. I want my first touch of it to be when Christmas day comes, and I feel GOOD about myself because I have EARNED it. :-)





And here it is with colored lights in the center:




Today is also my weekly weigh in day. Last week I celebrated with a Happy Dance for losing 100 pounds so far. This week I had an unreasonable fear that I would have a gain, and be hanging my head in embarrassement! It's an unreasonable fear because for the last 2 weeks I finally set a calorie LIMIT of 1999, and have not once crossed that line. That is huge for me! 


Todays weight: 358, for a loss of 2 pounds.           


Before I started to count the calories, I figured I was doing okay because I was not eating sugar or flour. And I didn't WANT to add any further regulation... I rebelled at the idea, I resented it, I pouted about it! (see here about that)  BUT, it was a struggle every week to lose weight consistently. It doesn't matter WHICH plan you are following... they all must offer some way to REGULATE the intake. Sure, I wasn't eating sugar or flour, but I had no way to accurately regulate intake since I wasn't counting the carbs or calories.


I am still not eating sugar or flour, but now I  am counting the calories. It has proven to be a GREAT addition to my plan! Counting calories is easy for me, and I tend to be a detail person anyway. I like having a little chart, and at the end of the week I fill out the calorie total for each day. It sounds silly, but it makes me feel good to see my achievement written down and totalled for the week. Another gold star! :-) It's only been two weeks of doing this, but I can already tell this will work well.


I really think the key is to find what works for YOU. To tailor the plan, tweak it, modify it. Make it YOURS, so that you own it. So that you don't feel like it is some generic plan that someone else imposed upon you, and you secretly resent it and rebel. You know yourself... be bold and change stuff up! What if it doesn't work like you had hoped?? Learn from it, and tweak it again! You will get better at it as you learn. Just keep going!


While my "emotional appetite" doesn't appreciate being regulated, I can honestly say that I am LOVING how much limiting and counting the calories is helping me. I chose the limit... I am abiding by it. When my calorie budget is spent for the day, I am broke and I quit spending. No hot checks here! No bank loans or credit purchases. Cash only, please. 
:-) Nothing complicated here.


I am thinking that after Christmas I want to start inching down my calorie limit. I decided to be realistic, and not do it now (my Momma didn't raise no dummy!).  But after Christmas... look out, we're tightening the calorie budget belt!





Well, a girl can dream, right?!








From Dr Phil's book: "It's all about changing what you eat, why you eat, where you eat, when you eat, and how you eat, and doing it all in a way that is custom-designed so that it is natural for YOU."


My verse for today: "Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way."


My quote for today: "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." --Vince Lombardi


Enjoy the Journey,


Loretta
=^..^=







6 comments:

karen@fitnessjourney said...

What a great post! The fact that you have a head start on the New Year is going to really help you. How many people out there are waiting until the New Year to start leading a healthier life? You are already well on your way! It is so amazing that you have lost over 100 pounds already. Wouldn't it be nice to look into the future and see where you will be one year from now? I look forward to seeing more of your successes in the coming year!

Anonymous said...

Lretta! First thank you for the kind comments on my post. You're a sweetheart.

Second--TWO MORE POUNDS!!! WooHoo, clap, clap, clap, jump up and down and SHOUT!!! Yay, you!!!

:D

Deb

Christine said...

I like counting calories too, because within the budget there is room to move.
You can spend it however you like.
If you want 6 peach gummies, you can have them.
Do that every day, you starve...but every once and a while why not!
Good for you loretta.
my calories are sitting at 1500 right now.
I started with 1800 at 262. I lost pretty well on that.
Good luck on all your efforts.

antgirl said...

Only 16 days? Crap. I didn't realize that. What can I say? I live in my own world of stars, space pirates and other interesting sorts.

Yaaay on another loss, on working out 5 days and getting a lasso around them calories. Those are all fantastic victories.

I love seeing you so upbeat and positive, on fire.

Is is hella cold there? I think we're under zero right now. We didn't get above 12 today. I had to shovel. I had to go out. Now I keep sneezing.

Retta said...

KAREN: After I read your comment, I got out a piece of paper and did some estimating. What an eye opener! It was exciting to see where I would be in a year if I just lost 2 lbs a week! Thanks for the fun prod!

DEB: Thank you!

CHRIS: I had to laugh over starving with the peach gummy bears... I don't always make the most nutritious use of my calories, so I know just what you mean.

MARY: Yep, it's sooo cold right now! I am worried because I STILL have hummers coming for food, and this morning the feeder was frozen solid, and one little guy didn't get breakfast. :-O We are taking it in at night now, and putting it out in the morning... and telling them to HEAD SOUTH!!

Loretta
=^..^=

financecupcake said...

You are doing great with the challenge! Your reward looks very cool. Also, great loss this week! Good thing you like counting calories. Keep it up, Loretta!

Related Posts with Thumbnails