Monday, January 18, 2010

DAY 162 Turtle Weigh In & Importance Level


Hi Journal & Friends!


But I don't WANNA be a turtle!!



I had a great last week, staying within my calorie budget all week. Came perilously close a couple of times with temptation, but my commitment held. Whew! 

So I SHOULD have lost a solid 2 pounds. But I shot myself in the foot by having a high sodium hot dog with chili con carne on Sunday. So the scale only recorded me at 353, for a 1 pound loss. Sigh. Guess I need to embrace my "inner turtle", huh!? ;-)

I read another great post by Sean Anderson (here).  He was talking about importance level. And how he is applying that same importance level he used to lose around 216 pounds (so far) to help him stop smoking. 

I have an "Improvement List". Things that I want to do better. Things like better nutritional choices, consistently taking my vitamins, drinking more water, reading my Bible every day, getting to bed on time EVERY night, etc etc. 

I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me to apply that same level of importance to each one of those things, one at a time, as I do to my weight loss journey. Simple concept. And it's all entertwined, all a part of getting healthy. But when I read Sean's post, I could see I hadn't been using the same approach to all the stuff on my "Improvement List". Now I plan to take one at at time and see improvement! The first one will be to get consistent taking my vitamins every day. Yeah, I picked an easy one to start. :-)

I think a mistake some people make is trying to make too many changes all at once. They white knuckle it, and struggle and scratch and fight, and get discouraged and exhausted after a few weeks... if that long. Ask me how I know?!! Ha!

I finally had to let go of my perfectionistic tendencies and accept that it will be a gradual process of change. I still have a LOT of things listed on that Improvement List!

For anyone just getting started, Sean wrote the most wonderful post recently (HERE). I highly recommend it. You don't have to do it exactly his way. But the basic concept is adaptable to any nutritional program.  I have learned so much from him. On this journey of change, we really need to have an open, teachable spirit. I like the saying: "Eat the meat and spit out the bones." Just take what will work for you, and let go of the rest. And ALWAYS remember WHY you are doing this.



From Dr Phil's book: "No matter what happens, I'll stay the course. If I do what is required, I will succeed."

My verse for today: "Live in harmony with one another."

My quote for today: "I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business." --Michael J Fox




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooHoo, YOU! You lost another pound EVEN on your birthday week! You're doing this! I know a pound feels slow, but it IS success! Happy for you. Deb

Unknown said...

Loretta, a one pound loss is great! It may not be what you were hoping for, but I think it's great. You stuck on your plan in spite of the temptations you faced! I think that's wonderful!

I have many things I need to improve on, too. Many are the same as yours. I will read Sean's post! Thank you for the suggestions!

Unknown said...

Hey a one pound loss is way better than a gain! I love Sean's blog!

Christine said...

Hey Loretta,
I love seans philosphy as well. It is workable for anybody.
You can absolutely adapt it. My perfectionistic tendencies used to sabotague me too.
Great Job on the LOSS.
A LOSS is always good news.
I am starting to apply my importance level to organizing my personal space.
It is paying off.
I feel much more organized lately.
Have a great Day Loretta.

PJ Geek said...

Thanks Loretta for reading and commenting on my blog..It sure helps to know someone understands. Considering you had a birthday and ate a chili dog, to still lose a pound is awesome. You Rock!

soontobe...skinnygirl said...

Congratulations on your pound loss! Celebrate the victories no matter how big or small!

One step at a time...one small step is better than standing still!

Here's to the next one!

-B
http:diaryofasoontobeskinnygirl.blogspot.com

Dayne Gingrich said...

Finding our motivation (or importance level) is sooo valuable. As you're realizing, when we match what we want with the proper motivation, sky's the limit.

What's REALLY pushing us, inside, to accomplish (X)?

Dayne

Anonymous said...

In all the time I've known you you've lost like 20 pounds and I have see sawed on the same five pounds. So you wont see me criticising a pound lost! Well done!

Retta said...

Thanks, everyone. You are right, any loss is always better than a gain! :-D
Loretta
=^..^=

financecupcake said...

Embracing your inner turtle... That sounds so cute! Nice loss! You just keep losing and losing. :)

Shelli Belly said...

Whew, white knuckling it. Been there done that. I've enjoyed setting a 7day goal. It allows me to focus on one thing at a time. It feels like that concentration will transfer over to the following weeks. It just feels right. Step by step. We're going to make it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails