Monday, November 23, 2009

DAY 106 Countdown To Christmas - Week 3


Good morning Journal,


Week is complete for the Countdown To Christmas Challenge. 

My goal was to exercise 5 days per week, til Christmas. Did I make it this week? YES! I alternated between 3 days Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies, and 2 days on my mini-trampoline. I can't do much on it yet, but I am working carefully trying to build up, without injury. Three weeks down, 5 to go til Christmas, and my chosen Reward. :-)


Today is also my Weekly Weigh-in. The verdict: 361, for a loss of 3 pounds. What a tease!! Only one more pound to make the big one-oh-oh lost. I am happy about this week's progress, but... next week... next week!


This week I officially counted calories, and wrote them all down. I have been paying attention as I travel Blogland, to how many calories people are tracking, and how it's going for them. I checked with Sparkpeople for my recommended amounts, and it said between 1870 and 2220!  That sounds high to me. If I were able to exercise more vigorously, it might be fine, but I think I'll start out at 1900 and work down to 1800, and see how that goes before I decide if I want to go to 1700. 


The one thing that I admit which puzzles me is... people who are eating on the smaller side say so often that they are never hungry. My honest response is always... huh??? Is there some trick I am missing?? Are they so full of water all day that they don't feel hungry?? I know about  the frequent small meal thing... Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Well, MyGuy is off work today, which always means less computer time for me. Off to exercise and then do some holiday baking!


From Dr Phil's book: "Pressing on with an optimistic spirit."


My verse for today: "If you seek him, he will be found by you."


My quote for today: "Dare to be remarkable." --Jane Gentry


Enjoy the Journey,


Loretta
=^..^=




9 comments:

antgirl said...

Major applause for you, Loretta! On the loss and working out 5 days. I'm proud of you.

As to the eating less and being full thing, it's something that comes over time. At least, for me it did. I got used to eating less and then I added in more fruits and veggies [usually raw] and that keeps me really full. Sometimes I don't even want my afternoon snack.

I probably eat about 1500 calories a day. I eat 4-5 meals. I consider snacks meals now and I make them count - nutrition wise.

It's a process. Don't push yourself to do something you're not ready for yet. Too low isn't good either. Calorie range is really individual. You'll eventually figure out your golden numbers. You're doing really fabulous right now.

someone had the word verification: rattakets on my blog yesterday, which made me giggle. It made me think of you with a band. :)

Retta said...

Hi Mary,
Raw veggies... well duh! What's wrong with me, of COURSE! All that fiber. I have a friend who has said for years that she eats so many veggies that she is full as a tick and is never hungry. I just spaced that...

I like the image of my "golden numbers". It doesn't even sound restrictive that way, but like a magic carpet ride. Oh the mental games we play!

I think you are right about not pushing too much too fast... I don't want to create a backlash of rebellion! I already had to work thru that just to count calories... sheesh!

My 5 day workouts aren't as vigorous as most people just because I am limited, but for ME it's a big increase, so I am hoping it will make a difference. I am not counting playing with the hula hoop... I can't do it right yet or long enough to "count", it's just for fun.

I appreciate knowing that in time I can adjust to less calories and will actually be less hungry... gives me encouragement to stick with it, and bust out more of those veggies!
Loretta
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo, YOU!!!! 3 pounds! Obviously the calorie counting is a key!! And soon, very soon, that amazing 100 pound weight loss! Truly remarkable. I am thrilled for you. Onward and Forward, girlfriend! Deb

Beth said...

Hi Loretta,

I am at 1500 and I will readily admit that I am sometimes hungry. Not all the time and not every day. But quite often. I just hope that by the time I reach goal, the lower weight will allow me to not be hungry on 1500 calories, or I'll be able to have a few more at maintenance.

financecupcake said...

Good for you!!

I do 1800 calories/day. Once you realize what you're working with, you try to find foods that don't make too big of a dent in your daily amount. Imagine 1800 calories of salad versus 1800 calories of french fries. Over time, you choose foods that fill you up for fewer calories.

Shelli Belly said...

Hurray!! How fantastic!!! You should be so proud of your efforts. Your hard work and control of your schedule really shows on the scale. But most of all I can hear it in your voice.

I shoot for 1,500 but ususally end up around 1,600 to 1,700. It's a work in progress.

Keep up the great work.

Retta said...

DEB: Yes, I think the calorie counting is a piece to the puzzle that I was missing. :-)

BETH: So it's not just me. I guess there will always be adjustments when we are making changes.

CINCIMOM11: It's definitely a process. Yes, I am already looking at what I eat more closely... but I still have my favorite treats that aren't worth giving up... yet anyway. :-D

SHELLI: Right now I know I would totally rebel at 1500! LOL! Just reading that number makes me go NuUh!! Right now I made a commitment to myself not to pass from the teen numbers into the 2's. It is a firm cut-off. I felt like when I adjust to that and get excited about the results, that will convince my "wanter" to WANT to lower it in increments. Well, that's my plan anyway! LOL! We will see. :-)

Loretta
=^..^=

Rebekah Costello said...

Part of it is that when you start to eat smaller meals more frequently your stomach shrinks. In a short time, it does not take as much to make you feel full and after a couple of weeks, you don't feel the need to eat as often. It's kinda nice, actually. :) The other thing is that as the body's metabolism equalizes, your body responds in a healthy way to the right foods, making you feel satisfied for longer periods of time.

Retta said...

Hi Rebekah,
I used to think that was true about the "shrinking stomach". Then recently I read some new so-called research that claimed it was a myth. So now I don't know to think! Either way, small frequent meals are healthy, I believe... I just have to be careful they stay SMALL, LOL!
Loretta
=^..^=

Related Posts with Thumbnails