Friday, November 20, 2009

DAY 103 Friday Favorites: Coffee!

Hello there Journal,

Today's post was going to be all sober and serious... talking about the "important things in life", and "putting it in perspective", and how "life can turn on a dime." 

Two people I care about very much are going through such tough times, and somehow I thought a "deep" and thoughtful post was called for...(yeah, like they need to hear any more pompous philosophicating!)

Then my perky morning-person hubby came in and disagreed... with ME! Well! Sometimes these blunt spoken guys can just tell it like it is... and actually make sense. ;-)

He said even though I care for them, life goes on. And when they are in such serious and tough situations, maybe they would actually enjoy to get away from it, even for a minute. And that I should go ahead and post what I had planned. Then as he walked away, he said over his shoulder "and if it all goes wrong, you can blame me."  I thought that was so funny, cuz I HAD planned to say "it was HIS idea." Mwahahahaha... 
So, this is for J and B... here goes:

Today I want to start a new thing. My blogging friend, Mary at Chronicles of Meps' Reconstruction, made a comment that has stuck with me for days. It had to do with this journey being about so much more than weight loss, or a number on a scale. Sure, that's important to me. But for a balanced, healthy and happy life, there is more. To that end, I want to start FRIDAY FAVORITES.
Nothing important or deep, just stuff that I like. Things that make me smile, that I think maybe someone else might also enjoy. I have no affiliation with anyone (makin' no money off of this) and it's just all my personal preferences and opinion.

Today I am curled up over my mug of yummy coffee made with my new Toddy Cold Brew Coffee System. I LOVE it.

I have a stomach "issue", and can't eat acid-y stuff. But I have refused to give up my one cup of morning coffee. I stumbled onto this system and love it. This method removes about 67% of the acid from coffee. 

You brew the coarsely ground coffee beans in cold water, one pound at a time, then keep the concentrate in the fridge. When you want a Cuppa Joe, you just mix some of your concentrate with boiling water, doctor it as usual, and enjoy. Mmmmm. It really does taste to me like a lovely cup of brewed coffee from a fine restaurant...like a luxury. And it takes not one second longer to make in the morning as the instant stuff, once you have your concentrate made up, which will last me about 3 weeks. I sound like a coffee snob!

So here is a picture of this simple system:
Yay coffee!

From Dr Phil's book: "Don't isolate yourself... If you hope to keep your weight off, you have to live the motto that 'a healthy lifestyle loves company'...Surround yourself with people who lift you up, rather than hold you down."

My verse for today: "Strengthen me according to your Word."

My quote for today: "A morning without coffee is like sleep."--Author Unknown

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! A morning without coffee is like sleep. lol
Although, I could use some sleep right now. sigh. :) Deb

Anonymous said...

Hey, Retta! I just ordered that coffee pot! I'll let you know how I like it. Deb

foolsfitness said...

I while ago I say a blogger that posts Thankful Thursdays (Bonnie over her blog at http://nomorestinkingthinking.blogspot.com)

I think it's a wonderful thing to stop and really appreciate. We're coming up on Thanksgiving and we have many blessings. I try to keep a gratefulness journal to remind me of all the blessings I have to be joyful over, from friends to food and shelter... oh, and especially chinese food!!!

I'm filling in the pulpit this weekend and my service is going to be about that grateful spirit and how it can extend from ourselves outward.

I relish in a good cup of joe! Or tea. Not really in normal sugar soda any more though... It's honestly lots a lot of it's appeal to me. maybe some diet cream soda or an occasional home made soda pop.

OK one friday favorate... it's got to be chinese food. Or if I should pick a non-food... Cartoon Art.

Trying to be thankful for so many blessings is the Foolsfitness way... but it's usually hampered by arrogance, whining, lack of common sense, and just generally needing a nap.-Alan

Shelli Belly said...

Sing it ... Fridays ... Fridays ... I like Fridays

Ok here's a favorite of mine, an electric mattress pad. When you live in Alaska it's just fabulously warm.

Have a great weekend.

Retta said...

DEB: Oh, I hope you like it as much as I do. Today when I went to their site, I just DROOLED over their special on the Pumpkin Spice coffee beans!!! Good thing hubby was standing there, since I was sooo tempted to order some.

ALAN: I like the idea of Thankful Thursday. A few years ago when I started consciously trying to cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude, I was amazed at how much it truly affected my outlook. Seeing thru a lens of whining... or seeing thru a lens of gratitude... powerful stuff.
And I love cream soda... I occasionally make homemade sodas with the sugarfree daVinci's and seltzer water. Yummm. My favorite one is Root Beer. And when I can spare the calories, I add a bit of milk or half n half (only need a tablespoon or two) and it tastes just like a Root Beer float after the ice cream has melted. Double yum! Okay, I see I will have to post my favorite yummy cold soda drink some Friday! LOL

SHELLY: Is that like an electric blanket? In the winter, my kitties have a favorite, too: my bed after the electric blanket has been turned on. It's cold here in Oregon in the winter, but nothing like Alaska. My niece and her family live up in Juneau. Brrrrrr.

Loretta
=^..^=

Shelli Belly said...

L~ Yep! I like it better than an electric blanket because it traps the heat that rises in and under the sheet. Perfectly fabulous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails