Tuesday, November 17, 2009

DAY 100 Toon Tuesday!


Hello Journal,


Onward and forward!

I can't believe it's already been 100 days! I have mixed reactions.... part of me is disappointed that I haven't lost more weight by now. But there is this other part that feels good about my progress. I feel like I have learned some things, I'm getting more consistent, more self-honest, willing to just keep plugging away instead of going off to hide when I make a mistake. Progress, not perfection.

In celebration of my 100th Day, I am launching:

Toon Tuesday 

I busted out my Sharpies and colored pencils, and have been dinking around in my spare time... mostly in the evenings as a diversion when I am being tempted to--what else--eat. They won't be posted every Tuesday... just whenever one is finished.

I got the idea for Toon Tuesday when I wrote this post (here). 
I wanted to do something NOW, instead of waiting until I reached goal to do more of my art stuff.

The idea for this first Toon came after reading a blog that talked about "not worrying." For the life of me I can't remember which blog! But he quoted a verse that encourages us not to worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. And here is the part that stood out to me: he said "Don't open your umbrella until it starts raining." Meaning,  don't worry about events that haven't even happened yet. Prepare, yes. Worry, no.

Thus, Toon #1 was born (click to enlarge, then click again for close-up).


Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=

13 comments:

Florrie said...

thats so pretty!
do you have a deviantart or something? id love to see more of your art :D

Retta said...

Thank you, Florrie! I don't have a Deviantart account, but do share a Yessy gallery with my photographer hubby here: http://www.yessy.com/stephenson/retta.html
I have 5 pages there under my title "Art by Retta" that you can click on, for a sampling of stuff.
I'm glad you liked my first Toon!
Loretta
=^..^=

Unknown said...

Loretta, that is really good! I can't wait to check out more of your art. Thanks for sharing!

Too bad for me...I do not have an artistic bone in my body!

Retta said...

Hi Debbie,
I used to teach art to high schoolers, and some thought the same way. I explained to them that while they maybe hadn't learned the "skills", they were all creative, in different ways. And then I would teach them easy ways to express their own unique creativity. It was sooo much fun to watch them surprise themselves, delighted with what they made.

If you took some fun basic classes, you would probably have a blast, and surprised YOURself, too. :-)
Loretta
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

Lorett! You are so talented! I'm going to look at your stuff as soon as I hit post. And, 100 days! Good for you girl! Deb

Anonymous said...

Wow that is so pretty! I would love to have a coffee cup with that on it! Or...a book bag. I dont know, SOMETHING with that picture on it!!!

antgirl said...

That's really beautiful! Thank you for coming up with Toon Tuesdays. What a treat!

It's not all about the scales, etc ... What you're doing now is learning and arming yourself. I probably lost more weight in my 2nd year of the journey than the first.

the speed does not matter, only that you keep at it. If you can become comfortable with a slower pace, that's really fantastic. If those become habits, then you're not ever going back. Isn't that way more successful than faster? I think so. It took me awhile to puzzle that one out, but one I got that it was very exciting. :)

antgirl said...

OK, when I'm in need of art, I know who to talk to. :) Was just looking at your samples. You're incredibly talented.

Retta said...

DEB: Yep, I still can't believe it's been 100 day. :-O

NANCY: Cheapest way is to just print it out and scotch tape it up and pretend it's a fancy schmancy original print! ha ha ha ha

MARY/ANTGIRL: Well, it's all your fault... you went and posted about Make Your Life Worthwhile, and it inspired me to quit waiting to do my art again! ;-)
Hmmm... learning and arming myself. The first one I definitely agree. I'll have to think about the arming myself. With strategies... coping skills... habits... Yes, I can see that.

When you need art, huh?? A sci fi writer?? Hmmm... Somehow I can't see my style fitting in... oh wait! Yes... okay, yes... an android... in the shape of... a cat... with a photon-powered umbrella weapon... about to make his get-away by poking a hole in the time continuum with his trusty magenta colored pencil... then sealing it up by coloring it black with his Sharpie marker so no one can see the hole thru which he escaped....

Yikes, time to go to bed, I'm getting dingy!

Loretta
=^..^=

financecupcake said...

That is awesome! I love the colors. I envy your talent!

100 days! You are doing awesome, Loretta!

Retta said...

Thank you, Christina! :-D
Loretta
=^..^=

foolsfitness said...

Set the fork down and pick up a pen!

I like the toon tuesday idea. I'm going to try to pull myself together to try one or two. Lately I've been in a bit of a funk too.

You might want to check out

http://illustrationfriday.com

They post a new topic each week and artists sort of try keep themselves inspired and sharp by doing it... or some even try to one up each other producing some works that really must take some time to make. They get loads of submissions... you could spend hours looking through them. Sometimes I do for inspiration. Some of the stuff is low end but some are blow your mind quality.

Also you may want to check out:

http://superpunch.blogspot.com/2009/11/november-art-theme-nose-art.html

this is a contest that is for nose art designs that you could win a store credit somewhere. It might be fun to try it. His site is very eclectic. I enjoy following it just because he has such odd topics to think about.

At Foolsfitness we are currently out of witty sign offs. The writers are on strike! -Alan

Retta said...

I look forward to see what you come up with for your Toon, Alan!
Loretta
=^..^=

Related Posts with Thumbnails