Tuesday, August 18, 2009

DAY 9 Sleep...Glorious Sleep

Good afternoon, Journal!



I am getting a late start today...stayed up too late again last night. And now I find it hilarious that my topic for today from my "need to be CONSISTENT" list is: adequate and quality sleep! 


 I have already made a plan to turn my hours back around, because while I love staying up in the quiet of the night dinking around on projects, I do NOT like the feeling the next day of playing catch-up all day...and usually I DON'T catch up, and don't get everything done.



I have tried just getting up early, on time, no matter what time I went to bed. I used to get away with that in my "youth", but not any more. And I have done a lot of reading on the connection between weight loss and sleep...a HUGE factor! So, I want to apply the No Excuses mindset to this, and get CONSISTENT on my hours.

Dr Phil teaches that it is hard to just STOP something...you need to REPLACE it with something else. I have always enjoyed being a night owl, ever since I can remember. But it isn't working for me now, on this journey.



So, I want to replace the enjoyment of being a night owl with the enjoyment of the results of getting up early--after 8 hours sleep--and having the energy and time to get done all those things on my to do list, INCLUDING things other than chores...like art projects, research on the internet, sewing, learning to cook new lowcarb recipes, reading a good book, going out.....In other words, the things that add joy and fullness to a life, not just barely time for the basics.



Being disabled, it takes me longer to do the basics, so it is high on my priority list to become consistent in managing my hours. The internet is bursting with good information as to WHY the quantity and quality of sleep is so important to weight loss success.

Here, I will just sum it up by saying the connection is crucial! In fact, everything is connected...relationships, sleep, stress levels...they will all profoundly affect our hormone levels, especially cortisol. Excess amounts of cortisol will keep us from losing weight. 


When stress hormones are high and we don't get adequate quality sleep, we don't replenish serotonin, which can lead to cravings. Also, if cortisol is constantly high, it can cause insulin resistance which a big enemy of fat loss. Here is one of many articles on the importance of sleep.

Right now on the low carb forum, Active Low carber, we are reading through Dr Atkins book, the updated 2002 version "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" (I picked up a cheap used copy on Amazon.com). In the Book Club thread, we are going through it chapter by chapter, with discussions. I am enjoying it a lot...even if you aren't doing "Atkins" officially, it is chock full of info about metabolism and weight loss. Excellent stuff, and encouraging to me.

Losing weight takes energy...at least it works that way for me. I need a good night's rest to even WANT to do it. Some day's, I just do it by CHOICE, because I do NOT feel like it. I remind myself of my goals...why...and just hold on to the belief that it will be worth it.

Other days it goes well, and I really AM enjoying the journey. Either way, the idea is to just KEEP ON keepin' on. Each new day is another opportunity to live my best life now, and to come one step closer to my reaching my goals. 


I want to live my life NOW, even while on this journey to health. Sure, there are things I can't physically do yet...but I want to "practice" everything I can...and to visualize the things that I cannot do yet...to SEE myself doing them so vividly that I can sit there with a silly grin on my face, and enjoy the experience...or at least the anticipation of the experience! LOL!

A motto I adopted early on was: 
Don't focus on what you can't do, 
but rather on what you CAN do! 


Not grammatically correct...but I love the point it makes! :-)

From Dr Phil's book: "When you kill time, remember you can't resurrect it."

My verse for today: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

My quote for today: "I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else."--Winston Churchill

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails