Monday, December 20, 2010

DAY 494 A Wonderful Day!

Hi Journal & Friends,

It was such a wonderful day yesterday! My first day as a Greeter at church. 



Remember me talking about all my trepidations last Thursday? Of COURSE you hung on every word, ha ha ha. (HERE) 

Anyways, I survived just fine! And after I "got over myself", I could focus on others and really try to offer them a warm welcome. I know first hand how it feels to walk into a new church for the first time, and feel almost invisible... insignificant, and like no one gave a rat's boohind if we were there or not. 

The day that happened to Jim and me, we were going through some hard times, and were reaching out. And the ONLY person in that huge church that said BOO to us the whole time was one little Greeter at the door, who looked us in the eye and made us feel like he was genuinely glad we were there. So yeah... that which I have freely received, I now get to freely pass on!

Well... that wasn't what I had planned to type!! :-D

I wanted to share what a glorious day it was yesterday, from start to finish. Wonderful and full of life and joy. Lots of little stuff that made me smile.

I've decided that's IT! I've just got to figure out how to bottle this for later when I start to whine again about how "nuthin's changed", boo hoo. I seem to recall I did that recently. :-}

Well, here's the answer... when needed, just pick one and dab some on:



Sunday started with me almost ruining my make-up with tears when I asked my husband, "Do I look okay?" I was kinda nervous, still a little too self-focused, and wanting reassurance.

He floored me by saying something he hasn't said in, literally, years: "I think you look gorgeous!"

That made my day right there!

But it continued. I put on a new saffire blue crocheted sweater over my blue dress... and it was comfortably loose! When I bought it a few weeks ago in a new-to-me smaller size, it was on sale, and I thought I would be buying it for "later". Later is now! :-D

Last year, my sister Karen (the writer with a blog, hint hint)  made me a set of Christmas Jingle bells jewelry. I love them... they jingle and are fun to wear. And she sized the bracelet perfectly for my wrist. 


But when I put them on THIS year, it was too big... TOO BIG! I had to be careful because it could slip right off. Who knew?!

And... yes, there's more. I think God must be trying to get through my thick skull that I really HAVE made progress, even though it doesn't feel like it, and even though the last 6 months have been a bust, numbers-wise.

Anyway, I put on my coat.. the one I haven't worn since... yep, last winter. And yes, it was TOO BIG.



This weeks most fun Greeter moment?? Greeting Roxie, the Working Doggie. It was slow, and her owner/companion told me Roxies' amazing story. But it's too long, so will save that for another time. Just know, she is amazing! 

Then we came home to lunch. It had cooked overnight in the crockpot: corned beef and cabbage, with carrots... and instead of potatoes, I tried turnips. They were a first for me this way, and were delicious! They had soaked up the flavors, and were softened just like potatoes. Mmmmmm.

Below is my name tag. The glue I used to make them didn't hold well... Jim's only lasted until after church, then popped off the tie tac doohickey! I made 15 for the whole crew... now I am wondering who else was left nameless?! Oh well, it was a grand experiment. The next batch will be held on with alligator clips. :-)




A most excellent day. One to remember next time I am tempted to whine.

Photobucket

From Dr Phil's book: "Be willing to leave behind the safe, unchallenging, and familiar ways of doing things in order to have more."

My verse for today: "Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever. To Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever."

My quote for today: "Promise me you'll always remember: Your're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." --Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=



11 comments:

bbubblyb said...

Wonderful days are well.... just wonderful *big smile*. So glad you had one and hope you keep having them EVERYDAY!!! This post made me smile BIG.

Anne H said...

Course you did great!
And get a new coat!
*meow*

financecupcake said...

I bet you are the perfect greeter!!! It sounds like you had a morning of victories leading up to the awesomeness of greeting. I look forward to hearing about Roxie. Those nametags are great!

I must say I am sad we didn't get to see a picture of you. Maybe next time? :) Your hubby is right: You are gorgeous!

Christine said...

what a wonderful day! and I love your name tag and your bracelet/earings. Way to put yourself out there.

M Pax said...

I am so thrilled you had such a wonderful day. One chock full of victories and reminders of your efforts paying off.

I love the jewelry your sister made. How festive! She has a great chapter up today on her blog.

I really am happy to see you testing the waters and stepping outside your comfort zone - lighting yourself up. It's great, isn't it?

Karen Elizabeth Brown said...

Hey! Loretta, why don't I fix that bracelet for you. Because by next year, you won't be able to wear it at all.
I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day! And I'm proud of you for testing the waters and discovering that you could swim!
Love Ya,
Karen

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Awesome NSV!! I love it when clothes fit loose or even too big. How fun! You are making wonderful progress! Yay for you!

~Margene

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a wonderful day!!! I may have to use some of that bottled wonderful day sometime, ha ha!
Wow I am waiting for the day when anything is too loose on me, these days everything is so tight, LOL
Hey, you used turnips! Good to know they come out good in many things.

Retta said...

Nancy! I got the turnip idea from you, so thank you very much! They really were delish. My husband was "suspicious", and almost turned his nose up at them... but finally gave them a try. And lo and behold, he had to admit he actually LIKED them! This, from a died-in-the-wool meat and potatoes guy.

But he was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes... kind of in denial, won't test his blood sugars. Says he has "cut back" on eating sugar. So.... I am trying to gently introduce him to things he might like, since he was always wanting me to add potatoes to everything.

So that is why I really appreciate your turnip idea!!

Loretta
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day! It sounds truly spectacular on all fronts.

Re: your hubby and the diabetes. Improved blood sugars may help is feet and increase energy. You may also let him know that I'm really not enjoying being legally blind.

Deb

PeacefulBird said...

Good days are definitely good! However, I have no problems at all with whine days... they happen to all of us and it's my opinion that a nice, verbal whine can be quite theraputic. Love your tag; love that you lost yourself in greeting; love your husband's reply to your self doubts about how you look, LOVE that later is now!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails