Wednesday, December 1, 2010

DAY 475 Deciding Not To Complain







Hi Journal & Friends,


It's a good thing I've been doing some work at getting focused again BEFORE my Monthly Weigh In this morning... otherwise I might be tempted to bellyache and complain, moan and groan, and generally get discombobulated!!


But... I kinda knew it was coming. And since I've already been working to turn it around, it's just a minor blip on the radar. I'm over it.

The best way to explain my attitude is to share the gist of something I wrote to a friend. She is dear to me, and we have a lot in common on this journey. She is also dealing with slow weight loss. Here it is:


Last year on Dec 1st I was 360. This year, one year later, I am 337. For most people I would be written off as a failure. And when I compare myself to OTHERS, I feel that way too.

Then I back up, and remember the big picture. My highest ever was 460. I have lost and ALWAYS regained the weight and more multiple times in my life.

I have sooo many things that I needed to work on, to change a lifetime way of being...

I read a lot of weight loss blogs now... and notice that some who are are "smaller" and younger and healthier, really do not understand the jagged, up and down progress that some of us have. They mean well, but they compare. And I understand that... it's a natural thing to do.

Even when I am spot on with EVERYTHING, I still bounce up and down. I just do. Factor in my goof ups and excuses and illnesses and injuries, and I look like the proverbial bouncing ball!

But... and this is a big but... this is the first time in my life that I didn't go on a "diet". It's taken time to find what will work for me for life, but I think I am getting close.

AND this is the first time I didn't hit the wall, and regain it ALL back plus more. 

You seem to have a similar losing pattern as I do. The ups and downs, the holding levels, the slight ups, the rally and then we get going again.

Please be encouraged. Don't forget how far you have come. We may never be "skinny". But I totally believe we can go farther. Much farther.

I am in this for the long haul. I will be here, I am going no where. No matter how many hits I take, how many times I get knocked down... no one, nothing, will prevent me from getting back up.

At times I struggle. I make mistakes. I make excuses. I get tired. I just want it OVER.

But I will go on.
And you, my dear friend, will be right there, too, going on. 

We will overcome.






By the way... Jim made these "fun" Complaint Department thingies a few years ago to sell... before 9/11. They are real grenades, defused and hollowed out. He thought they were funny, but was surprised at all the varied reactions. But then, Jim DOES have quite the mischievous and quirky sense of humor.

From Dr Phil's book: "Gain emotional closure... refuse to live with unfinished emotional business."




My verse for today: "Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice."

My quote for today: "Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation." --George Washington

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=


11 comments:

Anne H said...

Emotional closure - probably doesn't mean walking away, trashing the place and pretending nothing ever happened. Just a guess, eh?

E. Jane said...

I understand where you're coming from, Loretta. It's not the same journey for everyone, but I think you've made progress. Keep moving forward!

I was recently tagged by Leslie to answer four questions, and in return, I have to tag four other bloggers. I chose blogs that are new to me and that I like. You're one of the lucky?? ones! I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone.

The questions are:

1. Who has had the most influence in your life? In what way has the person (or people) influenced you?
2. What is your favorite quality about yourself? Similarly, what characteristic would you like to change, lose or modify?
3. When was the last time you cried?
4. What was your very best vacation ever and why

WWSuzi said...

I'd put one of those on my computer desk :)
I totally understand the jagged up and downs!

pinkvision said...

Heh - I had a giggle at the complaint dept photos!

When I am feeling down about how s-l-o-w my weight loss is going, I think instead, as you do, about how far I've come in other ways. :) Focusing on the positive reaps better rewards.

Dizzy Girl said...

Wow Loretta- great post!

I feel like I can take a lot away from your friends letter. It makes me think about myself and my journey; I'm okay- you know? I'm okay. Most days I am pleased with myself and my accomplishments- today I will continue to be pleased with myself as I remember my successes in this journey. :) Thank you for all you've shared!!

xoxoxoxo

D

Karen said...

I have much less to lose than you but I have bounced up and down for years. And even this year, when I thought I had it all figured out, up and down again. Your attitude is wonderful:)

Karen Elizabeth Brown said...

Dear Sister:
I've seen you when you cried,
And when you tried to hide;
You'd always say you failed,
When the desired boat had sailed.
But that was yester-year,
After you shed many a tear;
A swan song now you sing,
Grasping on to everything!
You will not be put down,
Nor will you cast the frown,
You push away the strife,
And plunge straight into life!
For this you will prevail,
Though some might see a snail,
But the tortise beat the hare-
On the race that was a dare!

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

Loved the blog quote you shared. Our success doesn't lie in the smoothness of the journey, but in how we handled the bumps. You are doing well, my friend!!


Hugs,
Mary

MargieAnne said...

I'm sure you know that fast weight loss brings a different set of health problems. It was news to me that gall bladder problems, liver and other organs take time to adjust and cope with different eating patterns.

Of course it gets frustrating sometimes but just think of me plugging away, knowing that one day I will reach my acceptable weight.

And the things along the way are so precious. Your night out with Jim was so special. Many changes took place for that to be possible.

Blessings

M Pax said...

lol I like Jim's sense of humor.

It is a law of the universe, unfortunately, that the older we are the longer it takes to lose. The harder we have to work at it.

Initial loss usually comes quick and easy. Then the middle comes where all the work needs to be done. We have to adjust our attitudes and our ideas on everything.

Never compare yourself to someone else. The goal should be to be healthy and to treat yourself well.

No one learns this over night. It takes time. The older we are with more ingrained bad habits, the longer it takes.

I'm on a new road now - just as frustrating. I have to resist comparing myself to others there, too. All these lessons you are learning here, apply elsewhere in life. Weight loss is not unique.

So, I'm glad you see that. It's important to keep our eyes and attitudes turned inward. The world has a lot of crap to throw at us. If we keep the focus on what we think of ourselves, it's easier to keep standing.

Learn to be proud of your victories. Use each one to strenghten yourself and keep moving forward.

Maybe others don't see our progress, but that's OK. All's that matters is that you see it. :) Maybe it doesn't show up in a concrete way right away either. But it will. You have to believe if you practice good habits, the pay off will come. Faith. It comes down to that. :)

Buttercup said...

Keeping off what we've lost is a terrific struggle and cheers for you! It's not a straight line and there are always ups and downs. Your comments really resonated with me and my weight loss journey.

Related Posts with Thumbnails