Thursday, March 24, 2011

MAR 24th Stop Whining & Just DO it

Good Afternoon Journal & Friends,




You knew it was coming, didn't you... 



Lessons From A Puppy #2


Joey on her first day in her new home.

Nope... I don't WANNA come out!!


Joey must spend some time throughout the day in the "specially equipped" laundry room. You know, with papers all over the floor. It has a gate across the door that Jim built, and she has a little bed, toys, food and water. But the main purpose is two-fold: potty training, and learning to accept restrictions. It's slow progress, but she IS making progress (so I keep telling myself). Baby steps... or in this case, puppy steps.

Jim ran off to the pet store the very next day. 
He came back with a chew treat bigger than she was!


One morning I put her in the laundry room, so I could have my hands free to make my coffee. Boiling water and puppies don't mix. Of course, she didn't like it. And whined to try to get her way. Jim says to ignore it... don't reward the whining by responding. Jim isn't here to hear it. It drives me nutso!

Anyway, after quite a bit of this, I heard myself say in exasperation to Joey: "If you'd learn to control yourself, you'd have freedom".

What??!! 

And I had to smile at her AND myself. Joey and I are both in the same boot camp... learning to control ourselves. 

And the reward for both of us: Freedom


Whining will get neither of us anything. 

Learning to DO what we need to do will get us the freedom we both want. 

Oh, if it were only as easy to learn as it is to write about! But... I am determined to continue. I am even feeling a tingle of enthusiasm.

Me and a puppy... we will learn together. :-}



From Dr Phil's book: "For you to succeed, you have to translate this knowledge, awareness, and insight into action."

My verse for today: "Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me."

My quote for today: "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare." --Japanese proverb

Enjoy the Journey,

Loretta
=^..^=

DAY 587


6 comments:

Cenandra said...

What a great analogy! Joey is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Joey is the most adorable puppy I have ever seen! I'm glad I can't hear her whine--or hear myself tell her that all she needs is to practice self-control! hahaha. Yeah, I'm glad I missed that. lol. grooooaaaaan.

We're gonna do this thing, girlfriend. I may need a paper-lined laundry room first, tho. :}

Deb

MargieAnne said...

Your post makes me smile. Especially this.

I heard myself say in exasperation to Joey: "If you'd learn to control yourself, you'd have freedom".

So True.

I'm learning something new about 'walking in the spirit.' Too soon to write about but I think I've discovered something I didn't know about the "keys to the Kingdom."

Will email you sometime soon.

Christine said...

If you are going to learn a lesson...cuteness counts. he is cute! Good post.

Anne H said...

Love this one!
Love ya!

M Pax said...

Great analogy. Look at all the inspiration Joey is giving you. She sure is a cute little thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails